Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Ready With Mesa 22.0, Early Intel Arc Graphics Enabled & Amber Added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding "approved/unapproved/etc" I had an odd one yesterday - I could see three posts by people who were not me, but were "Unapproved". One even had a Like.

I thought Ubuntu had frozen for 22.04? They're still pulling in updates?

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
      or praised the M1 chips?
      Yeah you definitely deserve that permaban tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
        I guess I was shocked to see they recently (3-4 days ago?) pulled in Xserver 21.1.3 (https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu). I thought they were done with X and fully invested in pushing Wayland?
        EVERYONE is pushing Wayland, because regardless of its laughable track record it's the only forward path left. But X is still what non-toy systems use, regardless of whether that's native or via XWayland, so if XWayland still has holes in it then X is the only option. If you've got an enterprise customer that needs a working system, you suck it up and give them a working system, because their money is real and the "perfect world" vision in your head is not.

andre's "4-5 years" is probably about right, looking at how many pieces Wayland is still missing, but people have been claiming Wayland is "nearly ready" for over a decade now - and that's without considering all the legacy software out there, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if X *still* hasn't died another 10 years from now, let alone any time soon.

I expect we'll see almost exactly the same comments in another four years, and the only difference will be that the current Pipewire stans will instead be bitching about how Pipewire is the worst thing ever and they've always said so, and Ubuntu sucks because it's not using whatever it is that's replaced that in Fedora by then. :P

Comment

Working...
        X