No announcement yet.

Improved Arch Linux Installer Experience Being Readied With Archinstall 2.4-RC1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improved Arch Linux Installer Experience Being Readied With Archinstall 2.4-RC1

Phoronix: Improved Arch Linux Installer Experience Being Readied With Archinstall 2.4-RC1

Debuting on the Arch Linux monthly ISOs a year ago was Archinstall as a way to carry out quick and easy installations of this popular Linux distribution. Over the past year Archinstall has matured into increasingly robust shape for quickly installing Arch Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Arch Liux

Comment

It's been a long time since I tried to install Arch, which at the time was really not easy for everyone to learn. So effectively optimizing and simplifying its installation is not a luxury... The implementation of Calamares would be smart to give everyone the possibility of installing this OS with ease.

Comment

This is a nice upgrade from the old installer. Gets the basics done, and I really like that they have an option to save the configuration. While I've never taken advantage of it, I think one of the perks of the Arch installer is that it can be scripted, so something that can help build a script for you makes it a lot easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post
          The implementation of Calamares would be smart to give everyone the possibility of installing this OS with ease.
          Calamares hides the whole installation behind a (pretty dated looking) GUI. Archinstall just guides you. It kind of explains every step with a command or description, so you know what you have installed and configured. Remember that Arch Linux is "your distro", not "the distro someone else made, that you just install". That's the important part and target.

Comment

I have used Arch for over a decade now. I just did a reinstall on one of my boxes last month, but for whatever reason, I stuck to the old way of manually installing everything. Next time around, I'll have to see if the installer is flexible enough for me to avoid doing it all manually.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
              I have used Arch for over a decade now. I just did a reinstall on one of my boxes last month, but for whatever reason, I stuck to the old way of manually installing everything. Next time around, I'll have to see if the installer is flexible enough for me to avoid doing it all manually.
              The first time I used it, it was a dream. It worked perfect for me for getting a simple Ext4 root, GRUB2 bootloader, and a Plasma desktop. I haven't used their BTRFS setup (haven't done an Arch Install since they've introduced it) but I've heard (read ) good things and it's looking even better now. Not gonna lie, I've never liked nor felt comfortable using the BTRFS tools so it'll be nice having the installer handle that annoyance for me.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The first time I used it, it was a dream. It worked perfect for me for getting a simple Ext4 root, GRUB2 bootloader, and a Plasma desktop. I haven't used their BTRFS setup (haven't done an Arch Install since they've introduced it) but I've heard (read ) good things and it's looking even better now. Not gonna lie, I've never liked nor felt comfortable using the BTRFS tools so it'll be nice having the installer handle that annoyance for me.
                A custom filesystem/partition setup and bootloader (f2fs/refind) are the only reason I manually installed arch last time.

Does archinstall allow for that now?

Comment

Would be cool if you could install Btrfs /root and XFS /home or something like that with this installer.

Comment

Excellent !
                    Getting ready to rebuild the wife's rig. Looking forward to trying it out.
                    Thank you Dev !

Comment

Working...
                    X