No announcement yet.

FreeDOS 1.3 Released To Advance This Open-Source MS-DOS Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wish geekbench made a single thread freedos port. just to have a look on how much performance we are leaving on the table with modern kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
      does it have hidpi and hdr support?

edit: sounds like a joke but with 4k on a laptopscreen a normal linux terminal can be quite small. imagine just 8k displays and you won't be able to use it without a magnifing glass.
      I think the main use case for FreeDOS by far is DOSBox, and screen size is handled by the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Sorry for the horrible off-topic, I know you're the right person to ask this: what's the difference (if any) between "stoned" and "high"? I've read a source saying "stoned" is from CBD, and "high" - from THC (I like this the best), but then some other sources refer to weeds high in THC as getting you stoned.
        None. They mean the same thing. They're synonyms. Makes me wonder what ridiculous "sources" you're reading.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

None. They mean the same thing. They're synonyms. Makes me wonder what ridiculous "sources" you're reading.
          The first result from google "stoned vs high" comes here [1], specifically:
          (...) these two conditions can be achieved by two different varieties of plant. These two types are called Cannabis sativa and indica.
          .. and the 2nd source [1] also seems to imply this, IIRC I also read about this on stackoverflow or something like this but don't recall.

But I believe you that stoned and high is the same thing, especially since skeevy420 confirmed this as well.

[1] http://www.differencebetween.net/sci...oned-and-high/
          [2] https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog...n-to-be-stoned

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

My reply isn't approved, apparently some bad key word, here's a screenshot of my reply

Edit: here's a better quote:
            On the other hand, “stoned” is the opposite state mind of “high.” When a person is “stoned,” the body is mostly relaxed to almost a lethargic condition. The body’s functions and organs are slower compared to a person being “high.”
            Last edited by cl333r; 21 February 2022, 11:50 PM.

Comment

So still no Windows 3.x enhanced mode support.

Comment

Never understood why folks would buy screens with resolutions they're not planning to run native, though I am an old bird; I pity those who step one 75% rationed foot on my lawn.
                Don't expect much and seldom disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by BingoNightly View Post
                  Never understood why folks would buy screens with resolutions they're not planning to run native, though I am an old bird; I pity those who step one 75% rationed foot on my lawn.
                  not sure if I'm targeted by this comment too. If so: I have planed to get 4k on my laptop. Plots for scientifical work are crispy sharp and i can open a lot more simutaneously for a direct one on one comparison. Hanging around a lot in GRUB or FreeDOS etc is/wasn't planed but this are the rare cases where a 4k display on a laptop is not an advantage because of the issues with small default fontsize.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyLinuxUser View Post
                    So still no Windows 3.x enhanced mode support.
                    The support should be included, take a look at https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/ne...31-on-freedos/

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

I can't even stand a full 1080p display on my linux laptop. I have to use scaling to be able to read anything my vision is so bad that is why I know 4k is NOT for me! I did 1024 x 768 for years even when my monitors supported higher resolutions.
                      this is one thing that android does the best at, DPI scaling. pretty much everything on android is DPI aware. Windows and mac come in second, while X/Wayland come in dead last. with very little being DPI aware and instead setting scaling percentages by UI toolkit is IMO rarely works well. Wayland in particular is stupid, say you have a 4k display with 150% scaling, so effectively 1440p. what most wayland compositors do, will render everything at 5120 x 2880 (so double the resolution) then downscale to 4k.

what SHOULD happen is the app just scales UI elements to fit to 4k, this usually means a bit larger file size or less performance, since you need multiple copies of assets (JXL actually has support for this more or less built in while maintaining a really small filesize), or use vector assets (ouch performance, but this would essentially be the "future proof" option), IMO that's a trade off I am well willing to make

Comment

Working...
                      X