Linux Now Faster Than Windows 11 For Intel Core i9 12900K With Latest Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

I was coding MAC Linux Security Modules in 2003, and I wasn't even close to being the first one to do it. Try harder next time.
    And so what. You try tell me that eg. Clear Linux has MAC????

Windows has.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

I was coding MAC Linux Security Modules in 2003, and I wasn't even close to being the first one to do it. Try harder next time.
      What a loser, I was writing the Linux kernel in 1962 before Linus stole it from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Wow, Ubuntu 22.04 definitely sucks for using such an old kernel by default for the time when it will be released!
        And thinking that is also full of snap crap it will probably be very hard to find a distro slower than that.
        Can we stop pretending distro backports and tweaks aren't a thing?

Ubuntu will backport any security fixes and high profile performance / compatibility fixes. While this will not be the entire kernel, no, and it is not guaranteed your specific kernel feature is included, it's 99% guaranteed Intel, AMD and Nvidia improvement and support will be included by Canonical in backports. After all, this is what has happened historically, I see no reason this would change now.

TLDR; Kernel version only tells you the baseline, not the enhancements each distro makes.

Comment

As a linux noob, I would love to see a clear linux distro in the likes of Mint or Manjaro, with all tuning, libraries preinstalled. This os looks so much beast mode for gaming, which is one of my pleasure using a computer, and it also performs better in most other stuff.
          Last edited by Jahimself; 10 February 2022, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahimself View Post
            As a linux noob, I would love to see a clear linux distro in the likes of Mint or Manjaro, with all tuning, libraries preinstalled. This os looks so much beast mode for gaming, which is one of my pleasure using a computer, and it also performs better in most other stuff.
            Then just stick to the performance governor at all times on the distro of your choice.

From experience, this along with using a latency-optimized Linux kernel build will have the most (positive) impact on daily PC enjoyment.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

What a loser, I was writing the Linux kernel in 1962 before Linus stole it from me.
              What a liar, that's not possible - I was already writing the original systemd for my Arch laptop during coffee breaks while my unit was taking Iwo Jima from the Japanese in 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Windows has too. But SELinux has much more complex .

So maybe should bechmarked Windows vs linux with selinux implemented - it would be fair
                It was done many times. Fedora has SELinux enabled. Ubuntu has Apparmor. It will be fair to make benchmarks with having it disabled. However, it probably wouldn't make much difference. The question is if CPU mitigations are the same on both system. They have higher impact.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Good ol' Phoronix comments section: full of people who can't WAIT to prove how much smarter they are than you by whilst being a total prick.
                  It's about not being lazy. Everyone can verify most of the things in few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It was done many times. Fedora has SELinux enabled. Ubuntu has Apparmor. It will be fair to make benchmarks with having it disabled.
                    Thaks. I didn't know that Ubuntu has Apparmor enabled by default. Maybe that's why it's slower than Clear Linux.

However, it probably wouldn't make much difference. The question is if CPU mitigations are the same on both system. They have higher impact.
                    Probably similar.

Comment

Interesting benchmarks. Of course, tuning those kernel things always is a balance. One might be faster 5% in one benchmark, but draw 20% more power in general. Having a power-draw comparison every now and then between the different loads would be interesting, too.

Comment

Working...
                      X