Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Archinstall 2.3.1 Released With PipeWire App Profile Added, Btrfs Install Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archinstall 2.3.1 Released With PipeWire App Profile Added, Btrfs Install Improvements

Phoronix: Archinstall 2.3.1 Released With PipeWire App Profile Added, Btrfs Install Improvements

Archinstall as the quick and easy-to-use installer for the Arch Linux distribution is out with a new point release delivering a few worthwhile enhancements to the text-based OS installer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nicely progressing, I'll definitely try the installer one day, although my Arch installations are usually fine for a long time. I used to keep them tidy to avoid time spending on configuring everything. The installer will probably be nicely polished when I decide to get new computer or something.

Comment

i hope this never replaces manual install. i still prefer setting everything up myself.

though i will say, going through its github to see how they do things, is a nice reference to see what packages they use and how they set things up. i've found things done differently or neglected in the wiki. i actually hope since they are going through with an installer which has the side effect making it easier for newcomers, that they allow the installation guide to be more detailed again like it use to be for those who wish to install the manual way. all the handy tips and ideas comes in handy when doing it manually.

Comment

Pyto:
        There are also prominent fixes like Btrfs suv-bolume handling

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
          i hope this never replaces manual install. i still prefer setting everything up myself.
          Same. That said, I've followed the same install routine for the last eight boxes I've built, with the exception of the one I'm testing ZFS on. Got a bash script to automate the most boring bits post-install, but there are a few steps which I still do manually.

Comment

Highly doubt that'll ever happen, thankfully I love the script and some of my friends have gotten over their fear of installing Arch with it. But the manual way remains and always will be a great way to learn a few (very important) things for those with the right amount of time and interest.

Comment

Curious that the new pipewire profile includes pipewire-media-session. As I understood the latest recommendation from the PipeWire project was wireplumber (I recently switched my desktop systems over).

Anyways, that's good news about the improved BTRFS subvolume layout. I recently installed Arch on a new machine and initially tried the archinstall script, but ended up doing it manually so I could set up the subvolumes.

Comment

though i will say, going through its github to see how they do things, is a nice reference to see what packages they use and how they set things up. i've found things done differently or neglected in the wiki. i actually hope since they are going through with an installer which has the side effect making it easier for newcomers, that they allow the installation guide to be more detailed again like it use to be for those who wish to install the manual way. all the handy tips and ideas comes in handy when doing it manually.
                Installers have never, for any distro, replaced the option to manually install. Though most people have the self respect to use a installer and thats why anyone rarely goes on reddit bragging about how he manually installed ubuntu or something.

Comment

I was recently complaining about btrfs in the arch install script... I need to complain more often...

Comment

You can manually install any distro, they can't remove it even if they would want to. They might possibly stop officially supporting and updating the guide for it but the option will always be there for those "true Arch users" and masochists alike

Comment

Working...
                    X