No announcement yet.

Gentoo Linux Packages Up AMD ROCm, Makes Progress On RISC-V, LTO+PGO Python

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really need to bite the bullet and switch to Gentoo. I think I've made a similar "switch to Gentoo/Gentoo-LTO" comment around the start of the year for the past few years...

I don't know any other way of saying this, but installing Arch or Manjaro all the while knowing that I'm going to rebuild half the packages or add optimized repos (like what CachyOS offers) just feels stupid. Also leads to my current debacle where I go to update and I have to do a few AUR git packages in just the right order before I can finally pacman -Syu.

After looking at recent Clear benchmarks I want to figure out how to install Gentoo and, ideally, have it setup so that my updates are built as an entirely new root so I don't accidentally FUBAR myself on purpose...I know me...

Comment

I've been running it exclusively for almost 20 years (WHAT?!) and I'm still happy with it.

Comment

If Gentoo can get it done you would think a mega company like IBM could pull it off as well, that is, if they gave a damn..

Comment

ROCm has been available on Gentoo for a good while. I've been using it since version 3.9.0 and upgraded to newer versions once they became available. The most recent version in the Gentoo repos is 4.3.0

Comment

Some of the things I like from gentoo:

It never called home without an opt in or turning on a service. No looking for updates on expensive remote links.

Slotted libs and applications
            multiple python versions ok managed

Comment

Working...
            X