Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS Linux 8 Reaches End-Of-Life

Phoronix: CentOS Linux 8 Reaches End-Of-Life

Today is the unfortunate day marking CentOS Linux 8 reaching end-of-life status as a free alternative to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Grrr grrr my server is running CentOS 8, not sure what to do. I just migrated from CentOS 7 to 8 like a year ago... How can it be EOL so fast??? I thought server distros are supposed to be supported for many years.

What a bullshit, in the future I will certainly avoid anything by Redhat.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      Grrr grrr my server is running CentOS 8, not sure what to do. I just migrated from CentOS 7 to 8 like a year ago... How can it be EOL so fast??? I thought server distros are supposed to be supported for many years.
      You've been living under a rock. It was supposed to be supported for years, just like in the past, but the direction changed. You'll need to switch to one of the new alternatives (e.g. Rocky). The transition is supposed to be painless.

Comment

It has been known for a year that redhat killed CentOS... among other community things that redhat was involved in. Someone at redhat (or ibm) decided that redhat will change direction and stop paying for some stuff out of their own pocket, CentOS was one of those.

R.I.P. CentOS

Eventually, it became apparent that it was a good thing. Redhat wasn't really devoted to CentOS and updates would take weeks to reach us. Now we have viable and real alternatives, like Alma, Rocky and Oracle.

No, redhat beta Stream is not CentOS, just a clever ploy by the marketing department to re-use the CentOS brand over their beta rhel. Production systems would never run that garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

You've been living under a rock. It was supposed to be supported for years, just like in the past, but the direction changed. You'll need to switch to one of the new alternatives (e.g. Rocky). The transition is supposed to be painless.
          “supposed to be” - we all know what that means.

Comment

Actually, it is indeed pretty painless. Their upgrade script to Alma linux is exceptional. I migrated 400+ servers to AlmaLinux without a single problem. Even EPEL has switched their systems to support all enterprise distros together (Alma, Rocky, Oracle, etc).

EL to AlmaLinux migration tool. Contribute to AlmaLinux/almalinux-deploy development by creating an account on GitHub.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

“supposed to be” - we all know what that means.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
              Actually, it is indeed pretty painless. Their upgrade script to Alma linux is exceptional. I migrated 400+ servers to AlmaLinux without a single problem. Even EPEL has switched their systems to support all enterprise distros together (Alma, Rocky, Oracle, etc).

EL to AlmaLinux migration tool. Contribute to AlmaLinux/almalinux-deploy development by creating an account on GitHub.

What is the situation with Rocky? Asking out of pure curiosity, nothing else.

Comment

Actually, Rocky is like Alma and both are identical to what was CentOS 8, so there is nothing much to say there. What is worth mentioning, is the ELevate project, which allows us to switch from one enterprise distro to another:

Things happened pretty quickly and most major cloud providers quickly added both projects to their container registries (Linode, etc), even Docker containers are available for all enterprise distros.

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

What is the situation with Rocky? Asking out of pure curiosity, nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post

What a bullshit, in the future I will certainly avoid anything by Redhat.
                  You clearly have not been paying attention in the slightest for the last year. Go back under your rock.

Comment

Even better for me, my favourite hosting control panel (Aetolos) has been updated and now supports all the enterprise distros, so it was fairly easy to move away from CentOS.

Remember that EPEL now supports enterprise distros as well, thus the packages are the same everywhere!

The future is bright! (and hopefully covid-free hah)

Comment

Working...
                    X