Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• macOS 12.1 vs. Ubuntu vs. Clear Linux vs. Windows Benchmarks

Phoronix: macOS 12.1 vs. Ubuntu vs. Clear Linux vs. Windows Benchmarks

Recently I looked at the macOS 12 performance against Linux when it comes to the Intel-based Macs. Stemming from reader requests and curiosity how Windows would perform in the mix, here are such benchmark results with macOS 12.1, Windows 10, Clear Linux, and Ubuntu 21.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

MacOS comes with MDS mitigation disabled. Linux (and probably Windows 10) has it partially enabled - clear CPU buffers. On the other hand Windows is vulnerable to SSBD (checked on my PC) while Linux has mitigation turned on.

Comment

Great article, but to make it ultimate something is missing:
      1) Add BSD to mix
      2) And some multiplatform games benchmark, there are some multiplatform games like MadMax, Half-Life 2.. which run on all platform, maybe except BSD, but it not gaming OS, if im not work.
      I dunno if these game some in build benchmark, but even through some manual AfterBurner + MangoHud loging it would be nice Christmass gift to readers.

About results:
      - MacOS - is with all Apple tuning is 5% faster than Windows 10 with no so super tuned drivers.
      - Performance Linux is 15% faster than Windows 10
      - Normal Linux is 10% faster.
      - my guess is that Windows 11 would be 5% faster than Windows 10

Its good that there are not some very strange, very slow results as in some articles in the past.

Comment

Considering that the distributions are all not hugely different to each other: I really would love to sea Guix or NixOS in the benchmarks. I know, lots of effort but I really have an eye on these very different concepts.

Comment

What's that Chrome result in where macOS is so ahead of the other OSes?! o-o

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            What's that Chrome result in where macOS is so ahead of the other OSes?! o-o
            Most Google (Americans graduated from high-ranked universities) developers use macOS.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
              Great article, but to make it ultimate something is missing:
              1) Add BSD to mix
              2) And some multiplatform games benchmark, there are some multiplatform games like MadMax, Half-Life 2.. which run on all platform, maybe except BSD, but it not gaming OS, if im not work.
              I dunno if these game some in build benchmark, but even through some manual AfterBurner + MangoHud loging it would be nice Christmass gift to readers.

About results:
              - MacOS - is with all Apple tuning is 5% faster than Windows 10 with no so super tuned drivers.
              - Performance Linux is 15% faster than Windows 10
              - Normal Linux is 10% faster.
              - my guess is that Windows 11 would be 5% faster than Windows 10

Its good that there are not some very strange, very slow results as in some articles in the past.
              That would be more of a Intel IGP driver and graphics API bench than an OS bench.

Unless I missed a CPU-only browser config, I *suspect* that's the source of the browser bench variation, as both Chrome and FF heavily leverage GPUs now.

Comment

Michael : Just nitpicking, but I think for the number of times in 1st place, it would make more sense to have Clear and Ubuntu next to each other, as that way you can Linux as a whole.

I still hope more distributions incorporate the Clear Linux enhancements (still no new arch for Arch I believe :'/ ).

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                  Michael : Just nitpicking, but I think for the number of times in 1st place, it would make more sense to have Clear and Ubuntu next to each other, as that way you can Linux as a whole.

I still hope more distributions incorporate the Clear Linux enhancements (still no new arch for Arch I believe :'/ ).
                  It's all automated so hard for it to always show the best layout without spending much time on niche features like that ordering of thinking about Linux distributions next to each other.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    Considering that the distributions are all not hugely different to each other: I really would love to sea Guix or NixOS in the benchmarks. I know, lots of effort but I really have an eye on these very different concepts.
                    Yep it would be interesting to see some of those weird but somewhat popular distros benchmarked against regular Ubuntu, I would add silverblue to the list.

Comment

Working...
                    X