No announcement yet.

Fedora 36 Planning To Run Wayland By Default With NVIDIA's Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 36 Planning To Run Wayland By Default With NVIDIA's Proprietary Driver

Phoronix: Fedora 36 Planning To Run Wayland By Default With NVIDIA's Proprietary Driver

While all of the software components are out there now for being able to run NVIDIA's proprietary driver stack with modern (GBM-based) Wayland compositors by default, including XWayland support, Fedora Workstation currently defaults to using an X.Org based session with the green binary blob. However, for Fedora 36 next spring they are planning on using the Wayland-based desktop here too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess I'm out of luck with hybrid graphics on laptop 🙃

Comment

this is rad!

Comment

Finally! Even though NVIDIA shouldn't have doubted about GBM from the start...

Comment

Originally posted by cewbdex View Post
          Just nuke any Nvidia driver and forget about the Nvidia GPU. I did that on my old Intel+Nvidia laptop and everything worked fine, including 3D games.

Comment

Originally posted by cewbdex View Post
            Hybrid graphics with nvidia work fine on X and Wayland now, I've been running Wayland exclusively since nvidia added support.

I use Arch, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by arglebargle View Post

Hybrid graphics with nvidia work fine on X and Wayland now, I've been running Wayland exclusively since nvidia added support.

I use Arch, btw.
              You sure?
              I'm also using hybrid Intel+nVidia.
              I'm on Fedora 35, but last time I checked the udev rules, there was one that explicitly enforces Xorg for GDM/Gnome Desktop if the Nvidia GPU is not the primary one.
              I've tried to remove it and Wayland works, however I wasn't able to enable my external monitor.

So I think Wayland on Nvidia GBM still has some trouble with hybrid setups.
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

I've tried to remove it and Wayland works, however I wasn't able to enable my external monitor.
                ​​​​​​
                External monitor wired to the Nvidia GPU is problematic yet, but offloading work to Nvidia works fine on wayland

Comment

This is always nice. glad to see wayland finally replacing xorg, gnome still feels like the only stacking compositor that is ready for full time wayland, but we are getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
                    External monitor wired to the Nvidia GPU is problematic yet, but offloading work to Nvidia works fine on wayland
                    In that case, I hope they detect that configuration and don't enable wayland by default on such systems. While I'm knowledgable enough to fix this kind of issues fairly easily (and I don't run Fedora), it is important to provide a good out of the box user experience. (As an example of this: a crash issue when selecting btrfs in the installer of Manjaro made me just say "nope, going for another distro, don't want to deal with this". Could I have worked around this? Most likely. But just going with plain Arch instead was easier.)

Comment

Working...
                    X