Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi OS Updated For Debian 11 Bullseye, Desktop Transitions To GTK3+Mutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk about picking the worst way to 'update' a system I've ever heard.
    I normally would agree with you . Would be nice if PI OS was a simple rolling release. But then again just installing a new image does make for a nice 'clean' system . This particular RPI4 is a test/dev machine, so all relevant data that I was working on is stored on the home server anyway, so no biggie to 'start over' from scratch. Tis, one nice about having a home server! All my systems whether desktops, laptops, RPIs could die or have a new OS installed. Data will still be their as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
      I normally would agree with you . Would be nice if PI OS was a simple rolling release. But then again just installing a new image does make for a nice 'clean' system . This particular RPI4 is a test/dev machine, so all relevant data that I was working on is stored on the home server anyway, so no biggie to 'start over' from scratch. Tis, one nice about having a home server! All my systems whether desktops, laptops, RPIs could die or have a new OS installed. Data will still be their as needed.
      But just installing over the existing data doesn't replace it unless the files name coincide. Any extra files--including packages no known about by the package manager--will hang around. If you *must* do something like this, at least let it wipe the root filesystem and just keep /home from the previous install. That's what they want you to do at least.

Comment

But just installing over the existing data doesn't replace it unless the files name coincide. Any extra files--including packages...
        Assume you are talking about a rolling release that could leave stagnant unused files behind... I agree. But most time you don't care. Disk space is the only cost... And usually you have plenty of that.

When you install a new .img file (I use etcher to do this), it wipes out the previous stuff on the disk completely and lays down a 'new' image. All new files. You need to re-add the users, apps, etc. to get back to where you were. It is a 'clean' install.

Comment

Nice to see an update, even if I use Gentoo on RPi.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
            For a non-composited desktop, yes. That's over. It's been over for a long time. In a composited world, you need this amount of memory PER APPLICATION WINDOW. This is the theoretical minimum. Is your desktop environment using double or triple buffering? Obviously that will mean either 2x or 3x the memory usage. Then there's each desktop itself - and this is *not* just your theoretical min 8MB - the desktop is not just a static image. A lot more memory is needed for modern desktops. Deal with it. This is not bloat simply because you're having an anti-Gnome rant. It's just how a composited desktop works..
            thanks for pointing this out, I was uninformed, I feel stupid now about the low quality gnome rant.
            Last edited by hax0r; 09 November 2021, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              They shoul've switched to KDE Plasma, which is working great on Raspberry Pi, at least in Manjaro.
              RPi OS is also supposed to work on older models and KDE (yes, GNOME too) is not very good desktop for them. They haven't got very big amount of RAM and their hardware is not enough to run full desktop like KDE with acceptable performance. Even on RPi 4 despite it can work fine it's not greatest idea because it's not PC so desktop should be as small as possible. Standalone Mutter without all GNOME Shell stuff is pretty lighweight as well and it's pretty stable and reliable.

Comment

Sadly there are no signatures provided to confirm downloads.

Comment

Seems to me there is.
                  For example:
                  32bit: https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/ra...hf-2021-11-08/
                  64bit: https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/ra...64-2021-11-08/
                  Most people don't bother.
                  Last edited by rclark; 09 November 2021, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I am just curious if Raspberry PI OS is open source. If so are there packages on regular Debian ?. The last time I checked LXDE on Debian it was still using gtk+2.0.

Comment

After testing yesterday, Raspian OS 11 in 32bit and 64bits version, I am too disappointed, the KMS video driver now included in the kernel still does not allow watching videos on youtube in 720p or 1080p without interruptions or other problems.

My RPi 4 experience will end there, this machine is just not powerful enough for current use, I unplugged it yesterday while waiting to give / resell it to someone who is more interested in it than me, personally I have no time to waste with a half-non-functional system.

Comment

Working...
                      X