Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arch Linux Installer Updated With Btrfs Subvolumes Support, Reworked Partitioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch Linux Installer Updated With Btrfs Subvolumes Support, Reworked Partitioning

Phoronix: Arch Linux Installer Updated With Btrfs Subvolumes Support, Reworked Partitioning

Added to the Arch Linux ISOs earlier this year was Archinstall as an easy-to-use installer for Arch. In the months since its introduction the code continues to be improved upon and is preparing for its next feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is no end to how much the BTRFS documentation will improve as a result of this

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I recently used it and it was just bad when it came to locale config, some missing packages or enabled systemd units that are needed for a proper desktop experience etc. It might be helpful to make partitioning less of a pain, but otherwise I don't see why anyone would want to use it. I documented my own installation so I can find everything important without again reading dozens of wiki pages, much more useful than such an incomplete script.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        There is no end to how much the BTRFS documentation will improve as a result of this
        true! I'm not an Arch user but whenever I need good doc about something I always end up to Arch's doc

Comment

Have they tackled the issue with NFS yet? lots of subvolumes with distinct major/minor device numbers are only going to make that worse.

Comment

I will be trying out the new installer shortly. Glad to hear they are fixing/adding to partitioning.
            After you have installed manually a half a dozen times .... it is just cumbersome. Would love to see a gui installer.
            Not like there are not a half a dozen out there that could be easily modified.

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
              Not like there are not a half a dozen out there that could be easily modified.
              Manjaro installer installing regular Arch would be cool.

Comment

BTRFS subvolumes and LVM are an endless source of issues for users who have zero understanding how it all works and they end up with systems they have no idea how to manage and in the end they often just remove Linux and install good old Windows instead.

But then Arch is not a distro for mere mortals, so whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
                  Have they tackled the issue with NFS yet? lots of subvolumes with distinct major/minor device numbers are only going to make that worse.

https://lwn.net/Articles/866709/
                  The problem is when you expose snapshots under the same subvolume in the same export. NFS does not tell clients that they are different mountpoints and so makes clients confused when the same inodes show up in subdirs.

IMHO this is a thing lacking in NFS, not a bug in Btrfs. Remember, tools like find works fine directly on the host, just not over NFS in this situation. Samba solved this years ago with virtual inode mapping.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    Manjaro installer installing regular Arch would be cool.
                    EndeavourOS

Comment

Working...
                    X