Fedora Linux 35 Released As Another Exciting, Feature-Packed Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    ...It seems like a lot of the Arch is hard comments come from people that either haven't installed it in a long time or from people who, unlike myself, don't want to admit that they haven't used it enough to gain the experience to make it easier for them.
    According to some install notes I have, I haven't messed with Arch since 2016, and those notes remind me of it being quite a manual process. The official Install guide on Arch Wiki still seems to imply it being pretty manual though. I did notice archinstall after it was mentioned above, but that only seems to take care of the base install and nothing after that (notably with users, a WM/DE, software, etc).

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

You think wrong. Arch is extremely easy to configure and you rarely need to modify an already setup system.
    I feel it's easy to configure because of the extensive documentation. It just takes time to configure everything. My argument on that is that I don't see the benefit to all that manual configuration when I can use distros that have most of that already done out-the-box. At least with Gentoo, I can get some fine-tuned optimized packages built for my CPU.

Basically, I can make Arch like Fedora with GNOME, Pipewire, and SELinux, spend hours on reading articles and customizing SELinux profiles, and then hoping I have everything set-up correctly... or I could just use Fedora that does all of that and get right into whatever it was I wanted to do with Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Sesivany View Post

Where did you get this? According to stats Workstation (GNOME) has 10x more users than KDE Plasma Spin.
      Because Gnome is default in Fedora. But should it be?

Comment

Fedora runs like a sloth on heroin with the footprint of a pregnant yeti.

Comment

Originally posted by Sesivany View Post

Where did you get this? According to stats Workstation (GNOME) has 10x more users than KDE Plasma Spin.
          Not that much more since you can easily install KDE on top of Workstation (without the KDE spin), and then you have a choice of both at login (where you also choose Wayland or X11). (And continue to use gdm.)

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

According to some install notes I have, I haven't messed with Arch since 2016, and those notes remind me of it being quite a manual process. The official Install guide on Arch Wiki still seems to imply it being pretty manual though. I did notice archinstall after it was mentioned above, but that only seems to take care of the base install and nothing after that (notably with users, a WM/DE, software, etc).
            "archinstall" handles it all; extra users, WM*/DE, extra software. That's how I installed my current Arch KDE desktop with added Yakuake and Zsh. When you get to the part where it asks for a profile, enter the right profile and you'll boot up into a graphical environment.

But, yeah, it was very manual in the past. A lot has changed in the past few months in regards to installing Arch.

*not all the WMs are covered...basically just Sway, i3, or Awesome (scroll to the bottom for a list of profiles)

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Fedora 35 is shipping Gnome 41 before Arch...
              Debian has Gnome 41 since some time now or no? Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

You think wrong. Arch is extremely easy to configure and you rarely need to modify an already setup system.
                Originally posted by omer666 View Post

That is true, but it is the upgrading process which needs more maintenance than a package manager with more complex scripting.
                Also sometimes the distro is too bleeding edge for its own good.
                There is a universe where you are both right and it may be ours..

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                  There is a universe where you are both right and it may be ours..
                  Otherwise you can blame the universe...

Comment

.. having difficulties with F35 after upgrade from F34. I have unresponsive GUI elements, e.g. in firefox, and at times unresponsive apps.
                    Also my audio is detected 1/3 times.
                    I'm really surprised by this..
                    Last edited by mppix; 05 November 2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                      .. having difficulties with F35 after upgrade from F34. I have unresponsive GUI elements, e.g. in firefox, and at times unresponsive apps.
                      Also my audio is detected 1/3 times.
                      I'm really surprised by this..
                      That's weird... have you tried booting a live version? Just to check if you get the same result...
                      If not, you can also clean up your install by following the instructions in the official documentation (linked below).
                      Also have you got Nvidia hardware? There's been some trouble with the upgrade process and Nvidia proprietary drivers, you may want to check if you're running nouveau drivers instead of Nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                      X