• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
    no COW filesystem
    no Wayland
    no 2021!
    seriously, safety of data and security of the system should be paramount on any decent OS, more than cute factor.
    You had better to redirect this complains directly to Canonical honestly...

Said that, I like Elementary is clean and easy to understand really suits its audience, what I dislike is the way that is managed as a product not as a project, hence all the customization are intentionally reduced or restrict; eventually is the same thing in Gnome since also them started to handle the Gnome Desktop more as product rather than as a project.

Comment

Icons look like something from 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post

I don't hate them, but they are definitely not on my radar as an option. When they were a lot smaller then they are now...
        There have been many many issues with them. Something I skirted over as them being opinionated. I also dont use elementary OS and had previously vowed to never use any software developed by elementary due to their stance. However I do think especially over the past year they have opened up to new ideas and are a very useful addition to the community.

I want to see a power user's review of their new mail app.

They do identify real issues - that independent app developers have no source of revenue unlike the same app developer doing the app for iOS (paid) or android (spyware). having the ability and infrastructure for paid apps as first class citizens is good and without elementary I dont think there would have been a push for getting this to work properly.

Their adoption of work done upstream to democratise flatpaks also seems to have broadened their horizons. They only started considering flatpak sriously after upstream release something to make flatpak repositories easier to manage. They then worked with upstream to enable payment infrastructure (paid apps or donations - the final step will still need to be done by the distro).

Also, the flatpaks having runtimes also has given them some confidence that their apps wont be broken on other systems - they previously did a sort of fork of the GTK theme so GTK apps looked bad in elementary and elementary apps looked bad in gnome and elsewhere because the themes couldn't co-exist. Now through having their own runtime, this isnt an issue.

It is good to remember the issues, but also good to recognise change.

Originally posted by botsAndRoses View Post
        Nice! Not my cup of tea but looks like they've come a long way since 5.0. I think Flatpack makes a lot of sense for the ecosystem they're building. I wonder if they've entertained the idea of rebasing on Fedora Silverblue? Probably not -- would be a ton of work, I'm sure -- but would be cool.
        They wont rebase on Fedora of any kind for the simple reason they want a long term supported base. So if moving to red hat family, their only option would be Centos.

Moving to debian though could be interesting - Debian now also have regular stable releases (once every 3 years compared for 2 for ubuntu LTS), but once again it will be a lot of work if they choose to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
          They wont rebase on Fedora of any kind for the simple reason they want a long term supported base. So if moving to red hat family, their only option would be Centos.
          True, but I mention Silverblue specifically not because it's RedHat-based or not-Ubuntu, but because it's an immutable base + Flatpaks. Obviously the Flatpak part fits, but more importantly the immutable base is in line with the preference for reliability/foolproofness over flexibility.

Comment

🚌 https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/vala/-/graphs/master 🚌 🚌 🚌

Comment

I still don't understand how a small team of developers can make a beautiful, modern and functional desktop, while a big team of well sponsored devs keeps making gnome, which is a the least attractive and retarded "desktop" ever.

Oh wait! I know how! It's called: having a minimum sense of aesthetic and practicality.

Also: NEVER trust a german doing the design work. But this is another story....
              ​​​​​​
              ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
                Also: NEVER trust a german doing the design work. But this is another story....​​​​
                KDE would like to change your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

KDE would like to change your mind.
                  Breeze sucks monkey doodles. And you need to tweak the shit outa every little thing before it looks good.
                  Any kvantum theme is better looking than Breeze.

And it's not just a matter of look: breeze is also terrible to use on cheaper monitors where contrast isn't optimal.
                  I remember i installed Kubuntu on my mother's PC and she had bunch of troubles viewing mail (on kmail) and such. Changed theme to a good kvantum made huge difference.

Comment

Any kvantum theme is better looking than Breeze.
                    What do you think about the new Breeze Blue Ocean mockups, sir?

And it's not just a matter of look: breeze is also terrible to use on cheaper monitors where contrast isn't optimal.
                    I remember i installed Kubuntu on my mother's PC and she had bunch of troubles viewing mail (on kmail) and such. Changed theme to a good kvantum made huge difference.
                    Breeze follows the same color contrast guidelines as Apple and other vendors

Comment

Originally posted by AHOY View Post

What do you think about the new Breeze Blue Ocean mockups, sir?
                      Didn't know about it! Seems a step in the right direction. IN FACT it seems that the developer is Italian ​​​​:
                      ​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUYNu6zSCUw

Comment

Working...
                      X