Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xubuntu 21.10 To Ship Some More GNOME Apps, Drops Pidgin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Xubuntu 21.10 To Ship Some More GNOME Apps, Drops Pidgin

    Phoronix: Xubuntu 21.10 To Ship Some More GNOME Apps, Drops Pidgin

    For those wondering what has been going on in the Xubuntu camp for this Xfce desktop spin of Ubuntu, a Xubuntu 21.10 development update was shared concerning package changes and other happenings...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ntu-21.10-Apps

  • #2
    Ah Pidgin, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hadn't Sean Davis left the XFCE4 and Xubuntu project in favor of ElementaryOS?

      https://bluesabre.org/2021/02/28/and...ely-different/

      Comment


      • #4
        Could someone explain to me which are the main features of this operating system? Is it based on gnome? Does it implements GTK? Is a different way to apply the typical layout of gnome desktop?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
          Hadn't Sean Davis left the XFCE4 and Xubuntu project in favor of ElementaryOS?

          https://bluesabre.org/2021/02/28/and...ely-different/
          >As for why I've started to transition away from the Xfce world, it's hard to summarize. Conversations about CSD, packaging formats, theming, feature sets...

          GNOME really is viral. After using and admiring the Xfce project for years I felt sick after seeing what they've done but it's not like they had a lot of options without a lot of funding. You dig your own grave with GTK. In hindsight eOS made a few good choices.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Could someone explain to me which are the main features of this operating system? Is it based on gnome? Does it implements GTK? Is a different way to apply the typical layout of gnome desktop?
            Assuming you've been a Linux user since at least 2012 (based on your Phoronix registration year), what rock have you been living under all this time?

            Comment


            • #7
              Pidgin 3.0 is supposed to be released by the end of the year. Once that and Gimp 3.0 are released, I think we'll finally be able to talk about GTK2 as a thing of the past rather than the unfortunate lingering present.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AHOY View Post

                >As for why I've started to transition away from the Xfce world, it's hard to summarize. Conversations about CSD, packaging formats, theming, feature sets...

                GNOME really is viral. After using and admiring the Xfce project for years I felt sick after seeing what they've done but it's not like they had a lot of options without a lot of funding. You dig your own grave with GTK. In hindsight eOS made a few good choices.
                I am pretty happy with XFCE4 nowadays especially since Gnome3 and watching back to Mate I think Xfce4 is much more modern and better organized. Gnome 2, and for certain extent Unity, were cool because Compiz, without it Mate it is just a mess.

                Regarding Xubuntu I think is one the worst XFCE customization, since ever it always relies on too many Gnome components that make it slow and bloated, a total non-sense for a supposedly light-weight disto!
                Last edited by Danielsan; 02 August 2021, 03:00 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Assuming you've been a Linux user since at least 2012 (based on your Phoronix registration year), what rock have you been living under all this time?
                  I've never had any interest in Xubuntu.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    I've never had any interest in Xubuntu.
                    Neither have I and I don't recall if I've ever used it, but most of the oldest flavors of Ubuntu (of which Xubuntu is one of them) had implied names:
                    Kubuntu - Ubuntu with KDE
                    Lubuntu - Ubuntu with LXDE
                    Ubuntu Budgie - Ubuntu with Budgie
                    Xubuntu - Ubuntu with ______ (let's see if you can fill in the blank)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X