Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T2 SDE 21.4 Released With This Linux Distribution Supporting 15 CPU Architectures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T2 SDE 21.4 Released With This Linux Distribution Supporting 15 CPU Architectures

Phoronix: T2 SDE 21.4 Released With This Linux Distribution Supporting 15 CPU Architectures

The T2 Linux distribution, or "System Development Environment" (SDE) as it refers to itself, is up to version 21.4 and with it is now supporting fifteen different CPU architectures for this barebones Linux-based operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

15 architectures, multiple kernels:
    I know Skynet Deployment Environment when I see it.

rene I noticed that the package version page is three years out of date -- Please tell me y'all have more than zfs-fuse 0.6.0. But seeing that package version but not reading the copyright notice at the bottom of the page nor caring about other package versions was my deterrent for trying out T2 SDE last month. Not gonna lie, this article being v21.4 and the packages list going to v8 was what made me look at other packages and dates today.

Comment

With T2 SDE being a mostly one-man project, preparing such a Linux distro that is bootable on 15 different t architectures is a huge amount of work - great job, rene!

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz and other folks on the Debian PowerPC mailing list have had a hard time getting adapting Grub and the Debian installer to work on 32-but PowerPC computers like the IMac G3. They’ve kind of got it working now (some machines still give errors), but not for Old Word computers, whose Open Firmware implementation is even more quirky. Has Rene got some sort of special sauce to be able to boot T2 on 32-bit PowerPC? It would be great if there could some cross-pollination between those efforts

Rene seems like a very prolific developer - I wonder what can be done to attract more developers to T2 SDE so that it becomes an even more vibrant project... if God-forbid he stops working on T2 SDE, all that work would bit rot since there’d be no one to build on it and update the distro. It would be very nice if there was a way for other distros like Debian or Gentoo that also focus on portability and compatibility with old architectures and low-resource computers to automatically incorporate Rene’s work. There are already too few developers who care about venerable old architectures, and it would be nice if a common effort would coalesce.

Comment

Pretty cool. Always useful to have a swiss army knife around.

Comment

Working...
        X