Mageia 8 Released - Flips On AMDGPU For Older GCN GPUs, Better ARM Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 8 Released - Flips On AMDGPU For Older GCN GPUs, Better ARM Support

Phoronix: Mageia 8 Released - Flips On AMDGPU For Older GCN GPUs, Better ARM Support

Mageia 8 is out today as a significant and long overdue update to this Linux distribution long ago derived from Mandriva/Mandrake lineage...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not sure who's going to use a distribution that gets released so randomly. These projects that struggle so much to stay alive have no reason to exist, especially after 10 years of efforts without an established supporting community that is large enough to keep them rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
      I'm not sure who's going to use a distribution that gets released so randomly. These projects that struggle so much to stay alive have no reason to exist, especially after 10 years of efforts without an established supporting community that is large enough to keep them rolling.
      I'm perfectly fine using it. I currently have 2 boxes on Mageia 7 and an x86 tablet on Mageia 8.

The distro is on an LTS kernel, and security updates for it and core come out on a timely manner. The software packages in Mageia 7 are more up-to-date than Debian stable's offering. So pray tell, why do you need a fixed update schedule?

Personally I don't. That being said, this release is a year late? That isn't even Slackware 15 level.

As far as I know, Mageia isn't struggling. They did have a major package maintainer die in the last few months. That probably set them back a bit.

As for why they exist, why does the distro you use exist? I can make enough arguments for an easy to use RPM distro that isn't based off Red Hat.

Comment

BronzeBeard how many people are developing this distro? Do they have security team? Genuine questions, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
          BronzeBeard how many people are developing this distro? Do they have security team? Genuine questions, thanks.
          Don't know. But to be fair, I couldn't tell you how many people work on any other distros or operating systems outside of my own company.

I can tell you, IRC wise, there is 53 people on the general English channel, 46 in the dev channel, and 27 in the French channel. Compared to only other Linux distro I idle around, Slackware, at 191.

According to the webpage, which is only 2 clicks to access, they do have a security team, it is part of the packages team. Personally, I wouldn't use Mageia for server. (Not because of security reasons, but because I'm a BSD guy.) None the less, it's secure enough for general desktop/workstation use.
          Last edited by BronzeBeard; 27 February 2021, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Go use windows? Compared against windows, any desktop linux distro has simply abysmal amount of users, devs and maintainers..

Comment

Originally posted by BronzeBeard View Post

Don't know. But to be fair, I couldn't tell you how many people work on any other distros or operating systems outside of my own company.

I can tell you, IRC wise, there is 53 people on the general English channel, 46 in the dev channel, and 27 in the French channel. Compared to only other Linux distro I idle around, Slackware, at 191.

According to the webpage, which is only 2 clicks to access, they do have a security team, it is part of the packages team. Personally, I wouldn't use Mageia for server. (Not because of security reasons, but because I'm a BSD guy.) None the less, it's secure enough for general desktop/workstation use.
              Thanks. I never heard about this distro and was surprised to see that's its independently packaged, not yet another Debian clone. Descendant of Mandriva, but now they pack everything on their own. Cool.
              I would give a spin had I not known Debian already, Debian satisfies all my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                You can learn a little about the current situation in the distribution from the entry of one of its contributors. https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...eb2x&context=3

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

You can learn a little about the current situation in the distribution from the entry of one of its contributors. https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...eb2x&context=3
                  Thank you. That's very useful insider information. So, looks like Mageia is dead in the water. That's it for me. Better stay with very secure and stable Debian. Can't find any better distro, and I've tried.
                  Bleeding edge, constantly crashing packages and under developed distros doesn't interest me - Manjaro/KDE fucked up copy/pasting files, Dolphin would crash every time, I had to stay with it until they pushed fixed version from Arch two weeks later, as they don't do anything themselves, just follow Arch blindly, feeding on their success.
                  Copy/Paste functionality was done and complete like 30 years ago. I will leave messing around with git/bleeding edge versions to people who can afford to lose their workstation time to bugs like this.
                  Last edited by piorunz; 27 February 2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

These projects that struggle so much to stay alive have no reason to exist, especially after 10 years of efforts without an established supporting community that is large enough to keep them rolling.
                    This is such a weird hostile position, does Mageia's existence threaten anything (outside of some butterfly effect causality)? It sounds like maybe it just isn't the distribution for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X