"Fedora Kinoite" Coming For Fedora 35 As An immutable KDE Desktop Spin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
    Can somebody here enlighten me what they mean with the word "immutable"? I.e. once you installed it you cannot change it anymore? or: You cannot change the looks of it?
    You may have heard about Fedora Silverblue, the next-generation desktop OS. This article gives you a more complete view about what it is and how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      Aah, Well. Fedora marketing FUD (again!)

All they did is to drop that line from the boot sequence
      Code:
      mount -o remount,rw /
      and then they run around yelling: "Completely new IMMUTABLE OS and SILVERBLUE, SILVERBLUE, SILVERBLUE" (imagine bells and whistles and fireworks going off)

This is just lame.

Comment

Aah, Well. Fedora marketing FUD (again!)

All they did is to drop that line from the boot sequence
        Code:
        mount -o remount,rw /
        and then they run around yelling: "Completely new IMMUTABLE OS and SILVERBLUE, SILVERBLUE, SILVERBLUE" (imagine bells and whistles and fireworks going off)

This is just lame.
        This is not at all true. Immutable OS involves a lot more than just a read-only mount. For instance, just a read only mount doesn't allow you to switch back and forth between multiple versions of the operating system with a single command. At the minimum, you should read up on how ostree works because that is fundamental

Comment

This is not at all true. Immutable OS involves a lot more than just a read-only mount. For instance, just a read only mount doesn't allow you to switch back and forth between multiple versions of the operating system with a single command. At the minimum, you should read up on how ostree works because that is fundamental
          The question I asked was "What is immutable OS". Your response was just a link to a TL; DR document describing "What is Silverblue?" and now you want me to "read up on how ostree works" ? This is the moment where I just walk away...

To be a bit more fair. The idea of a read only root filesystem is not a new thing and was also not invented by red-hat. It is common practice on tabletop boxes, devices and such. To boot different versions of the OS with a single command is nothing new and common practice on all distributions I know. The document is also silent on how the read-only root filesystem and ostree are connected. They just seem to "come together".

Please forgive me if it tips you off; but to me SILVERBLUE and IMMUTABLE OS really look like the marketing department was pretty desparate to get something out.

Comment

The question I asked was "What is immutable OS". Your response was just a link to a TL; DR document describing "What is Silverblue?" and now you want me to "read up on how ostree works" ? This is the moment where I just walk away...
            If I gave a link in response to a question, I expect people who are interested in the answer to actually read it. If they read it, they would know what ostree means and why Silverblue or any immutable OS for that matter is very different from merely have a read only mount. I even gave you a very concrete example of the difference and no, I was not talking about merely booting into different versions but actually upgrading to a major version or downgrade it with a single command. If you don't want to learn and continue confusing a basic read only mount with an immutable OS, be my guest

Also FYI, none of the articles in Fedora Magazine are written by the "marketing department" because a) Fedora just doesn't have one b) Articles are written by direct Fedora contributors.
            Last edited by RahulSundaram; 20 February 2021, 07:20 PM.

Comment

<snip>
              Again at the point where I walk off...

Comment

Again at the point where I walk off...
                Don't threaten me with a good time...

Comment

Working...
                X