Slackware 15.0 On Approach With An Early Alpha Build Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
    Thanks for following-up Creative! I see, Majaro is Arch based, Arch based being evil systemd!

My shortlist is Void Linux, Devuan (however still indirectly supports Debian evil systemd) or continuing with Gentoo, with possibly tons of hidden systemd developers pushing their init system.

Still looking into Slackware with a binary packaging tool, but continued Slackware community interests seems to be persistent with having base binary package system, resorting to compiling all upper level packages, with no dependency resolution.

Getting to old and having too little time for managing all the package compiling here.

Think all Linux distributions incorporating "automatic dependency resolution with their package manager for binary packages" moved quickly and explicitly to the SystemD init system. The only distributions completely separate of SystemD politics and provide dependency resolution with their package managers, are likely Void Linux and/or FreeBSD.

Of course, can go with a forked Debian/Ubuntu/Arch or other distribution using another init manager, but still will be indirectly supporting the main distribution.
    Your call, hope you find what you are looking for.

Personally, I have yet to come across a distribution more satisfying than Manjaro. Like every distribution I have used, I always have had some things to setup regarding a home sound design/music studio. Various odds and ends, bits and bobs to tailor things as usual for myself.

Could I be on a better distribution in future? Not sure right now. I don't distro hop. I just find something suitable that falls within the spectrum of not having to do a weeks worth of editing stuff. I know people who use arch that get it setup, then they spend weeks or months getting everything in place.

Have had the same manjaro install for three years now, its pretty sturdy and does like to keep up with the sane spectrum of bleeding edge. Honestly, I had way more issues with an LTS distribution. A good rolling release distribution goes beyond LTS in support in my experience.

Personally I like systemd, yes it is different from something like slack or void pertaining to how it brings everything up, but I know it and use it with ease. I don't get into too much of the politics or even read about stuff on how someone does not like something for some design control reason.

Unless there is a huge red flag with a security concern like intel's big freakout?

I don't worry about systemd.
    Last edited by creative; 24 March 2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X