Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Core 20 Released For IoT/Embedded Linux Use-Cases

Phoronix: Ubuntu Core 20 Released For IoT/Embedded Linux Use-Cases

Canonical today is shipping Ubuntu Core 20 as their minimal, containerized version of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS focused on IoT and embedded uses...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here we go ...that is what the snap ecosystem is for.
    “Building Bosch’s new ctrlX AUTOMATION app store with Ubuntu Core and snaps creates a software-defined industrial manufacturing platform with an open ecosystem, faster time to production and stronger security throughout the device lifecycle. Industrial machine builders using this platform can break down the traditional barriers between IT and OT and free themselves from proprietary systems.” said Hans-Michael Krause, Director Product Management PLC and IoT, Bosch Rexroth.
    ...at least it is not windows.

Comment

But when will Ubuntu Core be available for RISC-V?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        Here we go ...that is what the snap ecosystem is for.
        ...at least it is not windows.
        What sort of embedded devices would be suitable for such? SBCs like the RPi right? Or is this really for MCUs with the ridiculously low hardware resources? Which apart from running linux also needs another layer for mapping peripherals properly no? (I guess if it can run linux that's technically taken care of?)

At least from my limited experience, it seems the lower you go, the more niche/tailored the solutions get. Arduino and Rust provide some libs that allow broader support that is easier to interface with, but you still need to add and configure drivers on top of those IIRC for whatever peripherals you hook up.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

What sort of embedded devices would be suitable for such? SBCs like the RPi right? Or is this really for MCUs with the ridiculously low hardware resources? Which apart from running linux also needs another layer for mapping peripherals properly no? (I guess if it can run linux that's technically taken care of?)
          Well, to put it simply, I would say that whenever you could contemplate using Docker as a host system, that's where you'd use Ubuntu Core, but I think it's more productive to compare Ubuntu Core to Ubuntu Classic. It's like the difference between a perpetual soup and a lego structure.

Comment

Working...
          X