Red Hat Announces No-Cost RHEL For Small Production Environments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    fedora isn't the most popular linux distro, i.e. something else should be even greater than rhel, according to your theory
    now all fedora users will run away or what?
    if you reread my post you'll understand "my theory".

other distro have more users but they are mostly noobs, they don't provide any value to the distribution (bug report, fixes, documentation, packages).
    Fedora has an high rate of very skilled user that contributes to the distro.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
      Fedora is free because RH receives a lot of testing and feedback on it by the Fedora community and users.
      who fucking cares? what kind of magic testing is this? if it runs perfect you do not need testing.

you talk like they do some kind of crime... but no they do not do any crime.

Originally posted by cynic View Post
      If RHEL is so great is because millions of people use and test fedora in pratically every configuration and setup you can imagine and provide a lot of feedback, and sometimes fixes, by the user. (the same applies for CentOS)
      Typical Fedora/CentOS users are different than typical Ubuntu users and are very, very precious for RH.
      It the last 20 years RH created a perfect equilibrium between the community and the enterprise and it was a win-win situation.
      Now they completely screwed it.
      The company that will succeed creating the new enterprise/community equilibrium will lead the Linux world in the foreseeable future.
      i can not see how they "screwed it" and you did not tell why they screwed it
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

fedora has updates every day, you don't have to wait 6 months
        But you have major version upgrades every 6 months or so, which is clearly what the quote was referring to.

judging by market share people rarely listen to you
        Unfortunately, block list doesn't work on this forum, so we are forced to listen to your BS. (Fix that, Michael!)

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
          Oh yeah ! Send me the link to download the ISO !!
          Oh I forgot, these distro doesn't exists...
          The only viable solution now is Oracle Linux. That's sad but true. I have production system to install TODAY... not in 10 months. I will clearly not install CentOS 8 now, neither CentOS 7. So what do I do ?
          I never in my life read such a stupid point of view... "The only viable solution now is Oracle Linux"

if you need to find a linux use this side: https://distrowatch.com/

in all i know Oracle is the worst company in the history of human kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
            who fucking cares?
            And no one fucking cares if you switched from Debian because the project leader supports BLM. It's not like they toggled a BLM compiler flag and automatically use your computer to cryptomine for BLM. This is a stupid reason for switching distros. You should not be mentioning it every two seconds like you're proud of it.

Comment

fedora has updates every day, you don't have to wait 6 months
              right. i have fedora34 and i install new updates every day. in 1-2 weeks if i upgrade my mothers computer with fedora34 i install like 400 update packets

Comment

fedora isn't the most popular linux distro, i.e. something else should be even greater than rhel, according to your theory
                now all fedora users will run away or what?
                he just talks bullshit "Now they completely screwed it." he did not even say why they screwed anything.

i am a 18+ years debian user and i running way from debian and use fedora34 feels really like the future.

and debian feels like stone age in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                  ...Second why use this over Rocky?
                  "Wtf is Rocky?"

I know what RHEL is (despite never using it) and CentOS, and both are backed by a major corporation (RH/IBM). This is the first time I've heard of Rocky Linux.

I have no plans to do so, but I'd probably use this free RHEL license if I was at all going to change my distro, or just go with CentOS Stream. If neither of those work out, then Fedora. And if I wanted to avoid RH/IBM, I'd go for either Ubuntu LTS or openSUSE. All-else fail, I probably just wouldn't run Linux if none of those distros worked for me. As far as I'm concerned, Rocky Linux is just another respin of a major distro, like those random Ubuntu spins that come and go.

If it lasts longer than a year, then it might be worth looking at. But I'm not about to put even my small-time production servers on a community distro that doesn't even exist yet
                  Last edited by Guest; 20 January 2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

But you have major version upgrades every 6 months or so, which is clearly what the quote was referring to.
                    People often bring that up but just because there is a major release out there doesn't mean you are required to upgrade. You can continue with the current release for typically about 13 months because of Fedora's lifecycle and upgrade process is smooth enough that transitioning from one release to the next release isn't the major hassle it used to be. In addition to that using something like silverblue makes that even more transactional and simple to move forward (or back for that matter).

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post

Oh yeah ! Send me the link to download the ISO !!
                      Oh I forgot, these distro doesn't exists...
                      The only viable solution now is Oracle Linux. That's sad but true. I have production system to install TODAY... not in 10 months. I will clearly not install CentOS 8 now, neither CentOS 7. So what do I do ?
                      Debian stable? I can attest that Debian stable has the same stability level than RHEL and I had zero issues. Of course there are no support contracts (same with CentOS of course), and it is not binary compatible with RHEL.

Comment

Working...
                      X