The Performance Of Clear Linux vs. Fedora vs. Ubuntu Over 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 900k View Post
    I wonder what specifically is allowing clear linux to have such large gains in things like dav1d, it getting basically double the performance.
    My guess would be that ClearOS' heavy use of systemd, default linking to Intel (very good) libraries such as MKL, and optimized compiler flags likely gets you in the ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

My guess would be that ClearOS' heavy use of systemd, default linking to Intel (very good) libraries such as MKL, and optimized compiler flags likely gets you in the ballpark.
      Clear Linux does NOT use MKL...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm surprised that Ubuntu did not too well in this test. It used to be one of the best performing distros, what's happening?

Comment

In most cases Clear Linux and Fedora don't differ that much.
          But I also wonder what magic comes with Clear Linux making it perform so good in video encoding tests, especially in dav1d.

Did they apply some special patches to the encoder libraries?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Clear Linux does NOT use MKL...
            Interesting..
            Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

You folks presumably updated an existing installation of Clear Linux. Version 34000 cannot be installed properly. (VM)

1. For starters there is no way to create a password for root. It is not included in the installer. Thus no su. If there is a built-in password I cannot find it because the link to "Concepts," etc is 404'd. There is no way to RTFM.

2. The automatic partitioner is take it or leave it. There is no way to edit the standard partitioning scheme. I wanted btrfs - It stubbornly insists on ext4.

3. The custom partitioner cannot be used because:
              a. There is no option for formatting an EFI partition.
              b. There is no way of defining mount points.

4. There is no "rescue" option from the installation media which ordinary provides a root shell from which I could create a root password and convert the root partition to btrfs.

BTW, there is also some nannyware. The installer requires an 8 character password. They are telling me how I must run my computer. I could change it or delete it but that would require doing so as root for which there is not password.

It could be me. I have been installing Linux distros since RH7.x and have certain expectations. Perhaps the problem is old dog - new tricks. I posted the password problem to the forums yesterday. I received one response graciously explaining that the user password can be set in the installer. Thank you very *&^@ing much!

Just in passing, parts of the website (software section) do not function using Chrome. The scripts do work with Firefox. That is something I have never experienced before.

You would think that Intel, in its quest for world domination, would do better than this.

Phoronix: Is there some reason you are not using disqus with its email alerts of replies?

Comment

Working...
              X