Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 8 Beta 2 Released With A Platter Of Updated Packages

Phoronix: Mageia 8 Beta 2 Released With A Platter Of Updated Packages

Mageia 8 Beta 1 came all the way back in August while ahead of Christmas that has now been succeeded by a second beta release for this Mandriva/Mandrake-derived Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Time to grab your Phoronix bingo cards again!

* Is Mageia better than other distros?
    * I've used Mandrake and/or Mandriva and I loved feature xyz
    * GNOME vs KDE as default DE

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      Time to grab your Phoronix bingo cards again!

* Is Mageia better than other distros?
      * I've used Mandrake and/or Mandriva and I loved feature xyz
      * GNOME vs KDE as default DE
      Mandrake was the first linux distro I ever used...back in 04 and 05. I really liked it then. Maybe if my work allows, I will give Mageia a ride just for old times sake - after it is finalized.
      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

I've been using Mageia/Mandriva/Mandrake since Redhat 7.1(in the 90's that is) came out with its doomsday kernel that locked after 34 days.

Mageia has kept a great balance between new-and-hot and old-and stable. Steam works beautifully, mesa has been kept up to date, their kernel support has erred towards stability and when I submit a bug report they respond within hours if not minutes. Their developers are as seasoned as the distro and really know what they're doing.

I guess the strongest thing about Mageia is their adherence to releasing a dependable, stable, and functional distribution with no surprises. Kudos to the Mageia team, when Mageia 6 was having "puberty problems", they kept Mageia 5 supported until 6 was really ready without compromise.

I've been using Mageia/Mandriva/Mandrake for almost 20 years and I've grown a genuine affection for the developers and the distribution. I know that Mageia isn't a featured distribution on Phoronix but I do appreciate Michael for advertising the progress with it.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
          Mageia has kept a great balance between new-and-hot and old-and stable.
          There is no such balance. Mageia is as bleeding edge as Fedora, or most just one minor version away from upstream.

The only thing that separates most bleeding-edge distributions from Fedora is that Fedora is not afraid to test and experiment with new frameworks and backends (like Pipewire replacing Pulseaudio) while other bleeding-edge distributions maintain up-to-date packages but stay with known configurations and setups.

Also, the ISO and the installation do not support Secure Boot; it does not have its own signing key and it also does not use the LF's shim.
          Last edited by Sonadow; 14 December 2020, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
            I've been using Mageia/Mandriva/Mandrake since Redhat 7.1...

Mageia has kept a great balance between new-and-hot and old-and stable...
            For me: since RedHat 4.2. screwed up its upgrade... Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia s the best developer-worstation distro for my workflow that I've found.

Comment

Working...
            X