Fedora 34 Might Try To Use PipeWire By Default To Replace PulseAudio/JACK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post
    Is PipeWire actually ready to supplant PulseAudio already?
    Yes, right now I am using PipeWire instead of Pulse on my Manjaro installation. Firefox, Chrome, Steam games through Proton - everything is working. I noticed only one bug - QMMP PulseAudio output plugin produces no sound (but ALSA works through PipeWire just fine)

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

"next big thing" of functionally equivalent implementation with no user visible change? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jxAsUR0Gss
      What would you propose instead of 'C based gtk desktop'?

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

Yes, right now I am using PipeWire instead of Pulse on my Manjaro installation. Firefox, Chrome, Steam games through Proton - everything is working. I noticed only one bug - QMMP PulseAudio output plugin produces no sound (but ALSA works through PipeWire just fine)
        Awesome!
        Are you able to use a bluetooth headset as well for both input and output? Currently that is problematic with PulseAudio, though there is an active MR on that.

Also, how do you feel about it? Is it better/worse/same?

Thanks.

Comment

a lot might wanna read this https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...6JH3XGYLX3FTW/

Comment

but IMO Pulseaudio is Dead an has been dead for years. good ole Lennart dug it out of the grave instead of making something new

Comment

is pipewire mostly use for video?
              how do you know if your software use pipewire?
              does it have some sort of graphic interface for volume control of each app?

Comment

As of now I've tried switching to pipewire twice during the last two months. The first time it only detected 2 of 5 audio devices, none of which I actually use. The second time it Just crashed immediately and didn't work at all.

With that in mind it definitely seems premature.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                  I noticed only one bug - QMMP PulseAudio output plugin produces no sound (but ALSA works through PipeWire just fine)
                  Nvm, its me an idiot who muted QMMP in application list So no issues.

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Awesome!
                  Are you able to use a bluetooth headset as well for both input and output? Currently that is problematic with PulseAudio, though there is an active MR on that.

Also, how do you feel about it? Is it better/worse/same?

Thanks.
                  Yes, I used Bluetooth A2DP with my Sennheizers HD4.50. The only thing I had to add is "-e bluez5" in /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf. Didn't try input, I cannot stand the quality of BT headphones on headset profile, but it is visible in mixer.

As for quality I did not notice any difference between PipeWire and PulseAudio with soxr-hq (maybe PipeWire reads Pulse's config?). About CPU it seems PipeWire eats a bit less CPU but not sure about this - I have powerful processor and comparing between 1% and 1.5% is a bit hard Cannot say much about latency, but I am playing Fallout 4 now and previously with Pulse sound stuttered sometimes, had no problems with Pipe for 2 weeks at least.

In any case it looked to me as a simple drop-in replacement. Why Wayland guys could not do the same?

Comment

There's all this talking about PipeWire providing PulseAudio, JACK, and ALSA APIs, but nobody is talking about the elephant in the room. Does it provide an EsounD compatibility API like PulseAudio does?

Comment

Will this lead to apps breaking and not being backwards compatible? Like media players, web browsers, games, etc stop working?

Does PipeWire provide low latency audio suitable for audio workstations and music production?

Comment

Working...
                      X