Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS Released With The Latest Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    If I look at Kubuntu 20.04, this "update" doesn't update the kernel, doesn't update Mesa, doesn't update KDE Plasma.
    It could've not even existed as well.
    At least I hope KDE neon releases a new version based on it.
    Hmmm KDE Users... This is a iso release, it contains all the things that were updated since the last release in April. You already got all that stuff if you regularly apt update / upgrade.

Comment

If I look at Kubuntu 20.04, this "update" doesn't update the kernel, doesn't update Mesa, doesn't update KDE Plasma.
      It could've not even existed as well.
      False. There are updates for all that stuff. They are not major version updates, but that is not part of Ubuntu's .1 LTS plan.

Originally posted by 144Hz
      On the GNOME side of things they managed to get the desktop updated in Ubuntu and Debian.
      Ubuntu went from GNOME 3.36.1 -> 3.36.3 (but not the latest .4)
      It also went from Plasma 5.18.4 -> 5.18.5 LTS

As usual, you have no point and you're talking out your ass. DIE, TROLL! DIE!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Hmmm KDE Users... This is a iso release, it contains all the things that were updated since the last release in April. You already got all that stuff if you regularly apt update / upgrade.
        You don't understand.
        KDE Plasma 5.19 depends on Qt 5.14 while Kubuntu 20.04 comes only with Qt 5.12 and they refuse to update Qt so there's no newer KDE Plasma in the regular apt update.
        It's only in Neon and Kubuntu 20.10.

Comment

You don't understand.
          KDE Plasma 5.19 depends on Qt 5.14 while Kubuntu 20.04 comes only with Qt 5.12 and they refuse to update Qt so there's no newer KDE Plasma in the regular apt update.
          It's only in Neon and Kubuntu 20.10.
          Kubuntu won't update Kde because 20.04 is an LTS and so is Kde 5.18

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Oh and Kubuntu doesn’t update Debian. I understand it is difficult to motivate Debian people to package a CLA toolkit meant for commercial usage but this is just pathetic. Kubuntu is a joke and it’s not even funny..
            It's not because Debian stable has a more conservative approach to updates and runs only "tested" (hence less updated) software.
            It must be because Qt has a cla to ensure that the toolkit can be relicensed in case the QtCo goes kaputt...
            They must be holding back on Python as well for the same reason!!
            Or on Go, or jQuery, Eclipse, or anything from the Apache SF.
            Yes, you're definitely right.

Comment

I’m really not sure what you are complaining about. My statement is 100% correct.
              It's a half truth at best. You told someone complaining about Plasma desktop not being the latest version that GNOME was being updated, but GNOME is not the latest version either. And while it's true that GNOME is relatively more up-to-date than Plasma, that's because GNOME's last major update was in March while Plasma 5.19.x in June (after the Ubuntu freeze).
              AND FFS, QUIT BLAMING EVERYTHING ON CLA'S YOU MISERABLE, STUPID, FSCKING TROLL!

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
                I don't agree that it shouldn't exist. Ubuntu 20.04 fails to boot for me and many others after an installation, until you remove "splash" from the grub boot entry.

But I somehow doubt they've fixed this.
                Tried to find this issue on the bug tracker but not found, is this a reported bug?

Most likely due to buggy firmware, because nowadays splash tries to read the image from your firmware at the location that (U)EFI specifications mandate. However many vendors do not use standard (U)EFI but their own buggy implementation, leading to this kind of behaviour. Other culprit might be dedicated video card based, often happening on Nvidia systems, adding nomodeset to your kernel boot parameters should resolve the issue if it is because of your video card.
                Last edited by FPScholten; 07 August 2020, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Let me quote you your post again:

Oh and Kubuntu doesn’t update Debian. I understand it is difficult to motivate Debian people to package a CLA toolkit meant for commercial usage but this is just pathetic. Kubuntu is a joke and it’s not even funny..
                  I mentioned Debian in relation to the cla because you did. I did not say anything about Ubuntu.
                  Yes, there are more reasons for Qt to have a cla, and of course one of them is to sell a commercial version.
                  But without the cla it would be impossible to relicense it if needed be.
                  I'm sure you can think of situations where it could have been useful to have a cla in place, but if you can't, let me remind you of the whole OpenZFS effort.

However as long Debian does not care at all about Qt's cla, so please stop spreading misinformation

Comment

Ubuntu and kubuntu are perfectly fine for a rock solid work station for a business or home office... People complaining bc Ubuntu won't update fast enough are scared to try other distro ( I had the same problem when I started) If you want the latest and greatest firafor gamingagaming andtand from ubuntu I can't recommend Manjaro kde enough... no ppa to add or things to bolt on... It comes ready to game with steam installed with the latest stable mesa drivers.. just my cents

Comment

For the last 8 years I only use Kubuntu xx.04.1 releases. That is the latest LTS without major kernel updates, plus updates to applications.

I got into this habit when I had a Radeon 7870 with the proprietary driver. Having a stable kernel meant no regressions between updates.

I am happy and keeping it this way even now that I am on an Intel chip.

Comment

Working...
                      X