Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS 8 Rebased Against RHEL 8.2

Phoronix: CentOS 8 Rebased Against RHEL 8.2

The CentOS crew maintaining this community enterprise Linux operating system rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise Linux have announced their RHEL 8.2-based release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

PSA before you update, definitely do read https://twitter.com/Arrfab/status/1272611884173275142 and https://bugs.centos.org//view.php?id=17452

Comment

My CentOS Stream still runs GNOME 3.32 after I updated it - does the new release not upgrade GNOME shell or does Stream lag behind?

Comment

"cloud improvements", except an official image for the largest cloud provider is still missing a year after release~

Comment

I find it interesting that CentOS pushes the "community developed" line so hard, when RedHat hired CentOS devs and has paid them to work on CentOS, and when RedHat put their own people on the CentOS board. RedHat seems to pay most or all of the expenses for the project. I see it as a RedHat sponsored project that some community members are also involved in.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            I find it interesting that CentOS pushes the "community developed" line so hard, when RedHat hired CentOS devs and has paid them to work on CentOS, and when RedHat put their own people on the CentOS board. RedHat seems to pay most or all of the expenses for the project. I see it as a RedHat sponsored project that some community members are also involved in.
            It's just a marketing dunk more than anything.

Comment

Yeah it's interesting given that most people and resources are paid for by RH. IMHO there was more of a Community before RH hired most of the CentOS folks. IMHO Fedora isn't what it used to be either. The Fedora Board and FESCO have been dominated for years by RH people and that's not a healthy thing. Look at how Modularity got "introduced". It enforces the view that Fedora's sole purpose is to do their master's bidding. Maybe the Board could introduce new rules that no single company can hold a majority of the seats/votes in the Board, FESCO, etc to ensure checks and balances. But who am i kidding

Comment

They used to be independent. RedHat is simply following the Microsoft playbook. Which they have done for many years, so it's nothing new. They push "community" so hard now because... well, to be honest, I can't really see a good reason. I presume marketing, because right now everything seems to be better when done by "a community"...

edit: I've had a lot of problems with Redhat/CentOS on SuperMicro boards over the years. To the point where Debian (or Ubuntu Server if I need something a little more shiny) is my default option.
                Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 15 June 2020, 10:44 PM.

Comment

https://old.reddit.com/r/CentOS/comm...d2/centos_ama/ interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

They used to be independent. RedHat is simply following the Microsoft playbook. Which they have done for many years, so it's nothing new. They push "community" so hard now because... well, to be honest, I can't really see a good reason. I presume marketing, because right now everything seems to be better when done by "a community"...
                    Fedora only serves as the beta version of RHEL x+1.0, and RH needs a beta version of RHEL x.y+1.
                    I'm guessing this is why they are pushing "community".

Comment

Working...
                    X