Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8-Way Spring 2020 Linux Distribution Performance Comparison With 240+ Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shame clear Linux is moving away from the desktop, the rsvg and basemark scores show significant room for improvement.

Comment

All you are showing here is that there is a virtual statistical tie between distros #2-6, all of which use the same underlying tech, with only slight statistical noise separating them. Take out one or two benchmarks out of 240 and you'll have to re-order your 2-6 list. And since the benchmarks aren't all testing stuff that most real world users are going to run into, the actual variance between 2-6 reduces to nothing.

Should add Artix openRC, Oberun with S6+66, and Antix Sid with runit into the mix. Maybe a little bit of Void and Gentoo and Alpine and Slackware. Get a little variety in the underlying system. Your only distro with some different underlying characteristics is the one actual outlier - Clear. All the rest are afraid to be different from the herd, and so they get herded together.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
        I only found 2 tests in which Debian Testing was last, and again, not by much. It makes no sense for it to be last in the Geometric mean.

My guess is that since it could not run many of the tests, it gets a score of 0 (or whatever weight you use) and it then appears to be the slowest, by far.

This realization now makes me wonder the interpretation of this graph for many past results (I often look at the last graph for a better overall picture, but I now see that it is misleading). It would be best to normalize the results somehow.

Edit: oh, forgot many more tests are included than the ones shown here. I'll look at that later on, perhaps I'm mistaken.
        Tests that didn't run on all of the platforms under test are not included in the geo mean. Right, on Openbenchmarking.org is a lot more data.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It is sad to hear that Clear Linux is going towards the "no desktop" audience route. It is so powerfull but...I wish they would have repositioned them self to Workstation/Desktop instead of cloud/server.
          I highly doubt that the Debian/Redhat Fanatics in this fields give their stability up for a (indeed nice) rolling release.

*But I dont know the details so mostlikely they have their reasonable thoughts behind it.
          Last edited by CochainComplex; 06 May 2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Tests that didn't run on all of the platforms under test are not included in the geo mean. Right, on Openbenchmarking.org is a lot more data.
            Great, thanks!

Comment

Code compilation times should only be compared when using the same compiler version.
              You can't know if the slowness is because of compiler optimizations or because of the distribution default settings.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                It is sad to hear that Clear Linux is going towards the "no desktop" audience route. It is so powerfull but...I wish they would have repositioned them self to Workstation/Desktop instead of cloud/server.
                I highly doubt that the Debian/Redhat Fanatics in this fields give their stability up for a (indeed nice) rolling release.

*But I dont know the details so mostlikely they have their reasonable thoughts behind it.
                Clear will still provide a vanilla GNOME desktop with each release. They just aren't going to make any or contributions any enhancements to it.

Comment

Wow, Manjaro is really slow, not sure what's wrong with it. Also, shocked to see Manjaro performing badly in Wireguard test too. I have a wireguard server which was running Kubuntu, and recently upgraded to Manjaro, instead of Ubuntu 20.04 , expecting kernel 5.6 would help Wireguard performance. I guess its time to nuke Manjaro on it and install Ubuntu 20.04.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Clear will still provide a vanilla GNOME desktop with each release. They just aren't going to make any or contributions any enhancements to it.
                    True but for me it means that eg it is less likely that desktop related issues might get resolved with priority https://github.com/clearlinux/distri...ssue-408311052 https://github.com/clearlinux/distribution/issues/1948 https://github.com/clearlinux/distribution/issues/993 https://github.com/clearlinux/distribution/issues/1918those are things which are needed for using Clear Linux as a Desktop Distro ..for Youtube, Netflix name some Streaming provider of your choice, VLC what ever. And no unfortunately Flatpak can not replace everything. Besides it can be troublesome if the application needs to call some terminal commands.
                    This will not be changed by the fact that they will keep vanilla gnome in their repo.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      These results are making me consider turning off apparmor=1 on Manjaro.
                      i'm sure fedora had selinux enabled

Comment

Working...
                      X