Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• piorunz
    replied
    Yay! That's fantastic. I've been on current stable for 2 years on my server and hardware I have is much better handled with backports kernel and other firmware. Now it will be working perfectly out of the box with new stable

Leave a comment:

• a7v-user
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Bullseye: Package: gnome (1:3.30+2) -- https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/gnome
    Sid: amd64 1:3.30+2 -- https://packages.debian.org/sid/gnome
    That's just the meta-package (and the top one at that).
    When I checked my rig(Debian Testing) I found that installed sub-packages (and actual programs) are mostly at version 3.34(47),
    a couple were 3.36(7) even a couple at 3.28(6) or lower. I didn't even have the 'gnome' meta package installed.
    That's not so ancient software for something that's going to become the next Debian Stable.

Debian's Gnome Team only update the packages if there is changed code included and meta packages are only version-bumped
    when most the dependencies have been version-bumped. Saves on upgrade-spam which makes server-admins happier.

Leave a comment:

• Bigon
    replied
    Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

When?
    Just now. There are also people from Endless helping with the upgrade to 3.36

The number of people involved in the Debian GNOME team has really reduced in the last years/months, so thanks to them for helping us!

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    That's rule #2. Rule #1 is blame RedHat and Poettering and systemd.
    Don't forget Wayland and Gome. Pulseaudio is a little out of favour lately but maybe pipewire can get some too.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

Yes, but then blame Canonical for using systemd. This is now. Before, you were to blame Canonical for not using systemd and causing "fragmentation" with their upstart.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    andyprough Congratulations. First you want Canonical to break Stable, now you want Canonical to mess with meta-packages.

Sorry because but that’s not how Debian works. Look at packaging activities on GNOME.

That’s right Canonical people all over the place.

In fact you can’t do much better than Canonical GNOME Team. They provide long term careers for people who want to:

1) Develop at upstream GNOME.
    2) Deploy at Debian, available to all derivatives.
    3) Deploy at Ubuntu.
    4) Maintain LTS for 5 years.

Actually, I think Canonical employees are some of the finest people in the world. I laugh at some of the company's failed strategies, but I've never found fault with the people. Top notch group - the GNU/Linux world would be far worse off without them. Same goes for RedHat - I have nothing but respect for all of the people and their immense talent.

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

Rule #1: Blame Canonical. When everything else fails, you can always blame them for following the correct procedures...

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post
    Rule #1: Blame Canonical.
    There is no real necessity to explain why. Just keep your calm and blame Canonical.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    andyprough You are looking at Debian Stable. That’s frozen and shouldn’t get bumped.

Blaming Canonical for not breaking procedures would be next level stupid. You are not doing that, right? Right?

The rest of us is talking about Debian Unstable/Testing. Which eventually will provide packages for next Debian Stable. This is where I demonstrated 3 Canonical developers did packaging work over a 4 hour time span.
    Rule #1: Blame Canonical. When everything else fails, you can always blame them for following the correct procedures...

Leave a comment:

• andyprough
    replied
    andyprough You are looking at Debian Stable. That’s frozen and shouldn’t get bumped.

Blaming Canonical for not breaking procedures would be next level stupid. You are not doing that, right? Right?

The rest of us is talking about Debian Unstable/Testing. Which eventually will provide packages for next Debian Stable. This is where I demonstrated 3 Canonical developers did packaging work over a 4 hour time span.
    Bullseye: Package: gnome (1:3.30+2) -- https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/gnome
    Sid: amd64 1:3.30+2 -- https://packages.debian.org/sid/gnome

I agree with your one point - I am next level stupid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X