Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alpine Linux 3.11 Introduces KDE/GNOME Desktop Support, Raspberry Pi 4 Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpine Linux 3.11 Introduces KDE/GNOME Desktop Support, Raspberry Pi 4 Compatibility

Phoronix: Alpine Linux 3.11 Introduces KDE/GNOME Desktop Support, Raspberry Pi 4 Compatibility

Alpine Linux is a distribution that prides itself on being "small, simple and secure" with being a lightweight distribution built off Musl libc and Busybox and popular for use within containers. But with today's Alpine Linux 3.11 release they are seemingly pursuing desktop Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You're not linking properly from the article to this topic.

Ontopic:

I'm surprised they already support kernel 5.4 while not being a rolling release didtro. It's incorrect however that they label it as an lts kernel.

Aside from that, I'm surprised that they focus on desktop environments while their main use is within containers. Anyone got experience using it as a DE?

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post

Ontopic:

I'm surprised they already support kernel 5.4 while not being a rolling release didtro. It's incorrect however that they label it as an lts kernel.

Aside from that, I'm surprised that they focus on desktop environments while their main use is within containers. Anyone got experience using it as a DE?
      Ages a go, I tried to install Alpine on a PC with Nvidia's GPU. Had issues. I think I had XFCE installed for DE but never got around graphics card problem because they used musl, not glibc. It worked fine as a general (home) server tho (used to run it awhile on Kabini AM1 box)

Comment

https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
        5.4 Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin 2019-11-24 Dec, 2021
        4.19 Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin 2018-10-22 Dec, 2020
        As a non rolling release distro they are perfectly selected the latest LTS kernel available at the moment of the release.

Comment

Insert "for Workgroups" joke here.

Comment

can I install la desktop environment atop Alpine? Will it be usable as an OS? Or this is just for containers? Thx

Comment

"small, simple and secure" is just how I like my desktop.

Comment

Aside from that, I'm surprised that they focus on desktop environments while their main use is within containers.
                Alpine was not born for containers, but their goals overlap.

Comment

Ontopic:

I use it on my laptop with a window manager.

Comment

It's also GNU free Linux. (sort of)

Comment

Working...
                    X