Canonical Wants Your Feedback To Help Prepare Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Hard to do because it's not controlled by any one person or company.

Oh snap.
    controled by ibm/red hat

Comment

Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post
      Drop Snaps already.
      Also drop Bazaar

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

controled by ibm/red hat
        Guess I missed the memo of Red Hat buying Endless and having copyright agreements over the Flatpak source code.

Comment

I want good out-of-the-box support for Flatpak so it just works without me first having to install Flatpak.

As for Snap, it might be great, I don't know. But don't push it on me when it leads to a worse experience, such as for GNOME Calculator that takes a long time to start.

It sucks to have to wait for updates to outdated software. Sometimes it feels like Windows is the best platform for open source software, when you're on Ubuntu with old versions of software.

We don't have any Photoshop, or other software, all we got is GIMP, so I would love for it to see more development and be improved.

I miss some software such as GitHub Desktop. We have Visual Studio Code which is awesome, but it still not Visual Studio though.

I wish the dash animation in GNOME was like the one on Android instead of the folding one we have now. I also wish GNOME Shell was more stable, maybe written in Rust. It's pretty stable by default, but when you pair it with extensions it can get unstable.

I wish the web browser, the email client, the PDF viewer, and the media player were sandboxed so malicious files and scripts cant hack the computer.

Comment

My feeling is that Ubuntu hold back many community projects with their strong focus on their own projects and an declining Ubuntu is not the worst :-) Last time I used Ubuntu I struggled immediately with the upgrade procedure. And I don't like the release cycles :-)

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              My feeling is that Ubuntu hold back many community projects with their strong focus on their own projects and an declining Ubuntu is not the worst :-) Last time I used Ubuntu I struggled immediately with the upgrade procedure. And I don't like the release cycles :-)
              Because Ubuntu/Canonical wants to do one thing, increase it's value as a company so it can get bought out. Who the fuck cares about users or the open source community as long as businessman of the year Shuttleworth gets his payout.

I think it's been 10 years and Canonical has yet to make any profit, meanwhile SUSE and Red Hat seemingly had no issues.
              Last edited by Britoid; 17 December 2019, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I really wonder if Canonical really cares about user feedback, but anyway I would suggest:

Drop Gnome 3 and replace it with something better, more intuitive, more familiar, with good defaults, but that can be also very well customized to the user's liking.
                Something like KDE Plasma, Cinnamon, MATE
                Drop Snap (stop with the NIH syndrome) and replace it something better, more open source, less centralized like Flatpak and AppImage
                Improve the installer which I think it's good only for advanced users.
                The storage page is very confusing and hard to understand.
                How about making a easier to understand tree structure like this example:
                • Storage drive 1 (SSD with its name [Vendor + Mode]) [] Install bootloader on this drive (checkbox)
                  • Partition 1
                  • Partition 2
                • Storage drive 2 (HDD with its name [Vendor + Mode]) [] Install bootloader on this drive (checkbox)
                  • Partition 1
                  • Partition 2
                  • Partition 3
                Also add two checkboxes outside of this tree structure so the user can toggle the sizes between MiB and GiB and if he SI or IEC sizes

The drives should be ordered by default by speed (fastest first) since this is the most likely one where user wants to install the OS, something like:
                1. M.2 SSD
                2. SATA SSD
                3. SATA HDD
                I assume that the bootloader can be installed on any of the drives even on more than one for the case where they will be turned off / on or switched in boot priority from BIOS.
                The bootloader checkbox should be ticked and unticked automatically depending on which partition the use has chose to install the OS.
                I'm really amazed that developers think that the whole crap with /dev/sda, /dev/sdb1 is even a bit user friendly ??
                Who the fuck care how the kernel sees these devices ?
                The installler is a graphical interface and should make thing as easy as possible to understand and not display low level stuff
                Is really that hard to write Drive 1 and Partition 1 instead of these geeky stuff ?
                Last edited by Danny3; 17 December 2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Because Ubuntu/Canonical wants to do one thing, increase it's value as a company so it can get bought out. Who the fuck cares about users or the open source community as long as businessman of the year Shuttleworth gets his payout.

I think it's been 10 years and Canonical has yet to make any profit, meanwhile SUSE and Red Hat seemingly had no issues.
                  What the fuck are you talking about? Canonical spent a decade and a half making almost zero profit, bringing us the best desktop experience on Linux period. Even if other distros have now caught up and even surpassed it in some ways. But that doesn't take away from their achievement.

Take a look at anybody actually using Linux "in the wild" and i'll take a 75% bet it's Ubuntu. And you think that's because of greed? Rather than actually trying, really hard, to make Linux easy and attractive? There's a good chance that desktop Linux as an OS that mere mortals can use would be dead without Canonical.

Comment

Personally I like Snaps. I've recently installed Libre Office via Snap - it makes a lot of sense to me. Plus Snaps integrate seamlessly in Plasma, something Flatpaks don't do as well. YMMV.

Comment

Appimage >>>>> abism >>>>>>>> snap and flatpak

Comment

Working...
                      X