No announcement yet.

Arch Linux Updates Its Kernel Installation Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile, I'm just learning now there was a linux-zen package...

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

What kind of advantage does dracut provide? Some Arch users don't even use initramfs.
      Not sure to be honest. I think it's a smaller initramfs/ shorter boot times

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Meanwhile, I'm just learning now there was a linux-zen package...
        So you've never read the installation guide?

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
          Not in at least 4 years (so, before Zen was released). I don't really need it at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
            I've looked at it as well only many years ago, since then I've used my own notes and scripts ;-)

Comment

What kind of advantage does dracut provide? Some Arch users don't even use initramfs.
              More share with other projects, less maintainance for everyone. Dracut is at the very least used on Fedora. And as other mentioned, Mandriva/Mageia use it too.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Why is that a mistake?
                ...I thought it was?

Mostly due to lacking Unix perms in FAT, which causes every file to be marked as executable.

Comment

Dracut is an early-init framework that does certain "initrd-like" things, like for example, find your initramfs, unwrap however many layers of compression and encryption it might be wrapped in, mount it, and pivot to it, with some special sauce for usb keys and stuff. It's main user-facing features are to manage the framebuffer console transitions in a mostly-jank-free manner, and to make certain rare types of boot problems almost impossible to diagnose interactively without a lot of obscure knowledge (i.e.: just spinimathings forever until you press escape; then dumped into a gimped bb emergency shell to try to parse a huge log file in tmpfs that is prone to unceremoniously disappearing).

It's very very flexible at assembly/build-time, and could be repurposed to do almost anything -- it mostly consists of a bunch of simple scripts that execute in a proscribed "rc.d" type of scheme with various hooks for things like "before showing spinimathing", "after mounted second initramfs layer," etc.
                  Last edited by gmturner; 12 November 2019, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

...I thought it was?

Mostly due to lacking Unix perms in FAT, which causes every file to be marked as executable.
                    You probably want to specify at least fmask/dmask when mounting FAT.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      Not in at least 4 years (so, before Zen was released). I don't really need it at this point.
                      I guess linux-zen is not what you think it is.

Take a look here:

Comment

Working...
                      X