Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.10 Doesn't Ship With AMD Navi / Radeon RX 5700 Support Working, But Easy To Enable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The RX 5700 series work out of the box on Fedora 31. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It is not easy to use the terminal. Nobody (as in the Average Joes) wants to open a terminal just to get their card to work.

Using the terminal (or pretty much any command-line interface) requires an higher-than-average understanding of a computer. They just want to get their work done, not spend a week on learning how to use a terminal.
      Or to even learn what a freakin terminal is!
      I remember back in 2005 when I was first checking out Linux (Mandrake) I was perplexed that it expected me to know what's a compiler, source code and how to compile and build from source code. It's like the aircraft crew expecting the passengers to have parachute jumper skills.

Comment

Idk, Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

This kind of "elitism" is exactly why the Linux desktop is always doomed to failure.

that said, messing around with ppas and custom repos is equally as bad.
          Messing with PPAs etc is bad but ultimately not worse than messing with untrustable 3rd party drivers on Windows.

Rhat said you are right about the (pseudo) elitism. It reminds me of the mentality that was prominent in the late 1990s: How do I "get" my cousin to start using LaTeX rather than Word? How can I convince him that he should spend a week writing a pppd script rather than spending 10 seconds using the graphical wizard in KDE? How to explain to people that they should learn to build the kernel because reasons? Etc. The endless hurdle Linux is facing on the desktop is not technical, it's the *nix neckbeards who won't accept that the role of an OS is to do what its users expects, not to "educate" its users about paradigms from 40 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Nobody (as in the Average Joes) wants to open a terminal just to get their card to work.
            They shouldn't have to. But if they want to use an outdated non-rolling distro, that's what they choose to have happen. It's not the distros fault the user expected something it never promised to provide. The opposite, in fact. It's supposed to be stable. The code doesn't exist because it isn't stable. It barely exists right now.

Comment

I have a different experience than what is stated in the article.

With a 5700 XT you can boot to desktop and basic 2D works, but no 3D accel, and when installing the correct firmware and rebooting it fails to reach the desktop - just a black blank screen.

At that point there was nothing I could do, because there were no errors in any logs or stdout.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
                I have a different experience than what is stated in the article.

With a 5700 XT you can boot to desktop and basic 2D works, but no 3D accel, and when installing the correct firmware and rebooting it fails to reach the desktop - just a black blank screen.

At that point there was nothing I could do, because there were no errors in any logs or stdout.
                Since you didn't mention it, have you ran the "sudo update-initramfs -u" command?

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                  3D hardarware acceleration RX 5700 series work out of the box on Fedora 31? With or without proprietary drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post

3D hardarware acceleration RX 5700 series work out of the box on Fedora 31? With or without proprietary drivers?
                    The proprietary driver doesn't support Fedora.

By “out of the box”, I mean the distro has all the necessary bits by default: kernel 5.3, mesa 19.2, llvm 9, and the latest linux-firmware as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                      This isn't too surprising given Fedora stays much more closely upstream compared to Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                      X