X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grogan
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
    A great reason to not use this shitty distro. The idea of bundling an office suite by default by itself is silly, not to mention how ridiculous it is to pick a proprietary one.

Where is git in these distros? It's tiny, and it provides tangible value of being able to pull in dotfiles for software you want to use. I rarely need an office suite in the first place, and there are organizations that rely on web solutions.
    Manjaro provides git, I use it most every day. You're really barking up the wrong tree here, as it's got Arch's dev environment. If you were complaining about all the bullshit you have to go through to get a good dev environment (and I don't mean just "apt-get install build-essential") on *buntu distros you'd have something.

Agree with you on the proprietary office suite (and I'm unimpressed by containerized rubbish in general... not what I want to see encouraged), but proper LibreOffice distro packages are there too.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
    If that were the case then you would see the uptake in Flatpak be larger than it is in the corporate Linux world particularly in the cloud and IoT.
    Is anyone in corporat/cloud/iot using Snap at all?

And I mean really using it. not just bundling applications that "work for me" in a specific Ubuntu LTS and break everywhere else (i.e. still relying 100% on system libs, sometimes even relying on default installed packages because they can't be arsed to add a dependency list to their package)?

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by elatllat View Post
    User friendly and rolling is an uncommon combination AFAIK (like debian unstable often just won't boot).
    Cough*OpenSUSE Tumbleweed*Cough

Leave a comment:

• EarthMind
    replied
    I tried freeoffice or the commercial trial several times before and the interface was just so buggy. Office document compatibility was also not that great in my experience. But now that I tried it again, it has very much improved. Even if it's closed source software, I'm glad to see more quality Office suits becoming available for Linux.

Leave a comment:

• Jumbotron
    replied
    Originally posted by Baguy View Post
    Snap is just not anywhere near as good as flatpak, especially in theming and speeds (particularly on a non-ubuntu system). And what's wrong with libreoffice? Sure, for more advanced word documents, there are some rendering issues, but it's perfectly capable even with those issues. If the user needs something better, than they can install it itself. This reminds me of their terrible choice of implementing that web-microsoft word shortcut into manjaro.
    If that were the case then you would see the uptake in Flatpak be larger than it is in the corporate Linux world particularly in the cloud and IoT. Manjaro can read the market as well as anyone PLUS they understand that CHOICE is the core of the Open Source and Linux world. There is NO reason at all to NOT have Snap capabilities ALONG with Flatpak.

Leave a comment:

• elatllat
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Non-technical people don't have to use Arch or one of the dozen Arch hackups, there's plenty of beginner distro's.
    Sometimes non-technical users need/want some new feature that is not in a release yet so a rolling distro in a VM is easier for them than trying to integrate upstream.
    User friendly and rolling is an uncommon combination AFAIK (like debian unstable often just won't boot).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    This makes Manjaro again less attractive to me. They seem to work hard to become the new Canonical.
    They're still short on projects that nobody besides them cares about, and then killing them off.

Oh, I know. They could contribute to Wayland!

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Install Gentoo.
    Originally posted by Slithery View Post

Gentoo.
    You misspelled Gentoo, fixed that for you

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    The point is not whether or not Steam support was installed, but whether people were supportive of a distro working with valve to make sure steam works better with it.
    I'm not aware of distros doing that outside of Ubuntu (up until they decided to drop 32bit), and maybe Arch (after Canonical announced the 32bit library thing)

The two things that really keep people from adopting Linux is Microsoft Office and games. Steam is helping with the fight against Microsoft's PC gaming domination, but when someone does the same with Office products people get upset. It's so dumb.
    Dunno, In this thread I'm mostly seeing people that are upset because it's installed by default or because it's not the best option, or because they think an office suite isn't a good thing to include by default.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by elatllat View Post

Ya bunch of jokers, I sure can-use/have-used Arch but I can't recommend it as "easy to use" for non-technical users.

Maybe Archman...
    Non-technical people don't have to use Arch or one of the dozen Arch hackups, there's plenty of beginner distro's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X