Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• itoffshore
    replied
    If you install Manjaro using Manjaro Architect it gives you the option to install XFCE minimal (& possibly other minimal DE's too)

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied
    Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
    Looks like they handled this case a little more liberal way and gave users the choice to install either one or skip all of them.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/about-fr...-default/97297
    Thank you for posting this SkyWarrior. This makes perfect sense, and is fine with me. I was concerned when it was portrayed as the default installation, but so long as people are given a choice I think it's a good thing.

If people are aware of open source alternatives, and clearly given a choice whether to use them or not, offering closed source programs alongside them is a good thing.

Some people believe that if something isn't free it's evil, and that's just not the case. First of all, the driving concept behind open source isn't that it's "free." It's that the source is open so everyone can observe what's going on, and improve upon it if they wish. And if people use open source software and like it they then donate what they can, if they can.

It's just a matter of common sense. Seriously, it's as if some people believe developers don't eat, or require any resources beyond a keyboard and computer to type in code. And this is one of the reasons Linux has languished as a desktop OS, and why many companies simply don't support it. Unless you're a student, or happen to stumble upon something that's so popular enough people donate so you can make money from it, there's just no point in developing for Linux.

We should all be budgeting some monthly amount, no matter how small, to contribute to open source projects. And then spread that amount around to projects we like and/or use. But far too many simply take the programs and never donate anything, to anyone. And then blame everyone but themselves for the lack of Linux progress on the desktop.

This website is a good example of the way open source should be. Michael works his tail off, and it must be day and night, to bring us a product that we love. And what does he ask for in return? $5 a month. That's it, $5. And if none of us contributed he'd have to shut the website down.

And it wouldn't be his fault. It would be ours.
    Last edited by muncrief; 03 August 2019, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SkyWarrior
    replied
    Looks like they handled this case a little more liberal way and gave users the choice to install either one or skip all of them.

Leave a comment:

• genstorm
    replied
    No patience these young folks of today have.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

I can't wait to finally switch over to it in 2030.
    I'm sure it will be worth it

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Well, crap. Bundling in what's essentially shareware is where I draw the line. Time to move from Manjaro to something else.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    You are wrong, it is just slow but it is still coming.
    I can't wait to finally switch over to it in 2030.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied

You've missed the joke. I'm saying that Wayland has as much chances of taking of as Mir.
    You are wrong, it is just slow but it is still coming.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied

You've missed the joke. I'm saying that Wayland has as much chances of taking of as Mir.
    Wayland actually has people that use it.

Leave a comment:

• the_scx
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    Many new users don't give any shits if it's proprietary or not, they just want something that works well. Assume you're on a machine where nvidia is the only GPU. Do you A, go with the proprietary driver or B the open-source nouveau driver?(assume your GPU is Pascal or greater). Would you A be happy that the distro provided the proprietary drivers out of the box(especially if you're a new user and don't have any familiarity with the driver situation), or B find the nouveau experience enjoyable as shit doesn't work properly and has rendering issues? If you chose B, I guarantee that the majority of users will deem Linux as a buggy piece of shit and run back to Windows/macOS.
    Is there any particular reason why you hate GNU/Linux so much? Is freedom completely meaningless to you? Don't worry, I'm kidding! Nice to finally see a sane person that is not blinded by ideology!
    Many times I was called here a troll, a pig, an asshole, a gaming kid, or even a Microsoft/Windows fanboy, just because I dared to criticize the Nouveau driver (it was mainly about rendering issues and instability) or say that NVIDIA blob offers better quality (perfect OpenGL implementation) as well as additional features (CUDA, NVENC).

See also:
    Originally posted by cybertraveler
    Did you just throw that comment out there because you love running secret, proprietary and restrictive code and are put off by the culture of people out there that support and develop open systems that are more focused on privacy and security?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X