Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Installer Buster RC3 Brings Last Minute Improvements

Phoronix: Debian Installer Buster RC3 Brings Last Minute Improvements

While Debian 10.0 "Buster" is due to be released this weekend, a seemingly last release candidate of the Debian Installer is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congrats, Debian will get unfrozen finally

Comment

Just curious. Will Debian 10 be the basis for Ubuntu 20.04?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        In the past Ubuntu was taking Debian Unstable as their source, so they aren't based on any particular Debian release. But I haven't followed their methodology, may be they are doing something different today.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

In the past Ubuntu was taking Debian Unstable as their source, so they aren't based on any particular Debian release. But I haven't followed their methodology, may be they are doing something different today.
          That's true (Ubuntu staging off Debian unstable - Sid iirc) and traditionally the Ubuntu developer community has been good about contributing changes and fixes back upstream to Debian. However, over time, there's been enough divergence between Ubuntu's environment and Debian's environment that the contributed patches haven't always been usable by the Debian team. It's also an occasional problem that Debian packages don't work properly on Ubuntu systems and vice versa because of those differences. I forget where I read about the divergence, because I didn't save the link to the dev post on the subject. If anyone has any links on those conversations, feel free to follow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
            Nope, Ubuntu keeps importing from Debian rolling branches till so called Debian Import Freeze which is about 2 months before planned release...

Majorly whatever is in Debian Unstable by end of february next year is what you get by the end of april
            Last edited by dungeon; 03 July 2019, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X