Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarks Of OpenMandriva's AMD Zen Optimized Linux Distribution Against Ubuntu, openSUSE, Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Micheal; what about Fedora? Many of us are in the Fedora camp and would find such comparison interesting.

As for this distro it would would be interesting to see what is the root cause of its performance issues. Is it CPUFreq? More likely it is a combination of things but with both versions performing so badly compared to other distros it would be nice to see what is the major problem.

The GIMP results seem to indicate significant build issues beyond any impact governor settings may have. In fact the delta here was actually a big surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      Maybe LLVM/Clang does need more tuning for Zen? As a Sony employee does most of the work on this front, expect more Zen tuning with the new PS5. And my takeaway is that Clang still performs a bit worse than GCC at least in the benchmarks shown here.

I was surprised to see that Tumbleweed got better, their recent LTO effort seems to pay off.
      Tumbleweed is now updated from GCC 8 to GCC 9. However LTO is not on yet. It will hopefully do LTO soon - as of today 14 packages needs fixing (mostly because of symbol versioning issues).

Comment

Originally posted by hubicka View Post

Tumbleweed is now updated from GCC 8 to GCC 9. However LTO is not on yet. It will hopefully do LTO soon - as of today 14 packages needs fixing (mostly because of symbol versioning issues).
        Great, so more improvements are on their way. I thought you were already shipping with LTO enabled where the packages work already. I am very much looking forward especially for a PGO+LTO build of Chromium and LTO Mesa.

Comment

Ubuntu tested was with the GNOME interface? MATE is my preferred flavor, but I would guess that the main Ubuntu family should test the same results as each other. Like many readers here, we miss the GIMP test results for Ubuntu.
          This series of tests reflect the same results as previous Phoronix results. Clear Linux was designed to show the best results for the Intel CPU. However it also shows the best result also for the AMD CPU.
          Almost missed is the summary to these tests:
          > " ... tied for first on this AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X system was Ubuntu 19.04 and Clear Linux."
          This equality with Clear Linux is unexpected. Does the Ubuntu family value benchmark results over other factors? If OpenMandriva values power savings, to prolong the battery life in portable computers, do the Ubuntu family perform poorly in battery life?
          It would be so nice if Linux operating systems could have standardised battery-life benchmarks. Android systems have these, so when Linux is ready for the mass market, these benchmarks should be available.

Comment

Working...
          X