Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS With Latest GNOME Update Now Plays Nicely For 120~144Hz Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04 LTS With Latest GNOME Update Now Plays Nicely For 120~144Hz Displays

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS With Latest GNOME Update Now Plays Nicely For 120~144Hz Displays

For those running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with the default GNOME Shell desktop experience, the latest stable release update of Mutter now fixes the support for running on high refresh rate (above 60Hz) displays...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also, inb4 GNOME 3.34, van Vugt's fixes for the locked to 60fps mouse cursor has been merged.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/363

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS mouse pointer will still be rendering at 60fps if using Wayland.

Comment

Nice, but I don't like Gnome 3.
      How is is the support for these displays on KDE Plasma ?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Fine, from what I've heard and seen. GNOME on Wayland has had some specific issues regarding refresh rate but I think most will be ironed out in 3.34.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Fine, from what I've heard and seen. GNOME on Wayland has had some specific issues regarding refresh rate but I think most will be ironed out in 3.34.
          Thanks!
          Now I hope I will see soon 4K displays that can have refresh rates more than 60.

Comment

Thanks!
            Now I hope I will see soon 4K displays that can have refresh rates more than 60.
            They already exist, but are incredibly expensive and the display protocol uses compression to achieve so.

Comment

Now I won't have to use an environment variable to turn off the refresh rate limit for gnome

Comment

I had a 60hz and 75hz screen plugged in the other day and had 0 issues all day (work and gaming)... that help?

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I had a 60hz and 75hz screen plugged in the other day and had 0 issues all day (work and gaming)... that help?
                  What about 144Hz? Any ideas if such refresh rates would work OK on KDE?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post

What about 144Hz? Any ideas if such refresh rates would work OK on KDE?
                    Yes, this it was what I was curios about, maybe not exactly on 144Hz, but still anything over 75.

Comment

Working...
                    X