X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nils_
    replied
    Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post

Their kernel config is hostile towards AMD - it keeps the support for non-Intel processors but they explicitly remove AMD bits(like the microcode: https://github.com/clearlinux-pkgs/l...c6/config#L354 ).
    So, it will work on Ryzen, but not to its potential.
    They removed: AMD Microcode, AMD Numa support(will affect the performance of Threadripper and EPYC), AMD encryption, AMD IOMMU, etc...
    CONFIG_AMD_NUMA is for older Opteron type CPUs, though I don't see the point in disabling the other options other than what would be considered a "dick move" in bird culture.

Leave a comment:

• Alliancemd
    replied
    Originally posted by Spooktra View Post

Really? An Intel developed distro doesn't favor their competitor's processors? Those bastards! AMD is free to release their own AMD optimized distro, but I doubt they will.
    "favor their competitor's processors" - those options are enabled by default in a basic config(all distros except Clear Linux have these enabled) AND this DOES NOT affect Intel processors in any way, so it does not "favor" other processors, it just enables proper support that is available in ALL distros except Clear Linux where they explicitly kneecap AMD.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    It was fun while it lasted! Maybe someone will come along and create a bundle called native-kernel-amd and submit it for inclusion.

So install Clear Linux as usual. Execute swupd bundle-add native-kernel-amd and it applies the needed patches and reboots.

Yes, Intel doesn't have to approve it or support it, but to me it would be no different than installing an NVidia or Radeon specific driver.

Leave a comment:

• Spooktra
    replied

Their kernel config is hostile towards AMD - it keeps the support for non-Intel processors but they explicitly remove AMD bits(like the microcode: https://github.com/clearlinux-pkgs/l...c6/config#L354 ).
    They removed: AMD Microcode, AMD Numa support(will affect the performance of Threadripper and EPYC), AMD encryption, AMD IOMMU, etc...
    Really? An Intel developed distro doesn't favor their competitor's processors? Those bastards! AMD is free to release their own AMD optimized distro, but I doubt they will.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Kjell View Post

This is really interesting, do you know if this or any different project offers Clear Linux optimizations/patches for Debian?
    Off the top of my head, I don't. If you have some decent bash-fu it shouldn't be too difficult to go down the PKGBUILD, apply the patches manually, and compile it.

Hopefully someone else will know a decent way to convert a PKGBUILD over to a Debian source package.

Leave a comment:

• ermo
    replied

One could argue that AMD might do well to be a bit cheeky and release a Clear-Linux derived spin that just changes the compiler options to favour AMD Ryzen-based CPUs...

Leave a comment:

• Alliancemd
    replied
    Originally posted by Baguy View Post
    I'd love to see some ryzen benchmarks with this kernel testing. Very intriguing.

Leave a comment:

• Kjell
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    An FYI for the Arch and Manjaro users, you can find these patches and more included in Tk-Glitch's kernels.
    This is really interesting, do you know if this or any different project offers Clear Linux optimizations/patches for Debian?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
    Are these patches to be mainlined or have they been rejected? I see some stuff that is quite dubious.
    Considering that clear targets a quite narrow set of hardware, I wouldn't expect anyone to bother with mainlining these patches.

Leave a comment:

• milkylainen
    replied
    Are these patches to be mainlined or have they been rejected? I see some stuff that is quite dubious.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X