OpenMandriva Lx 4.0 Punts Python 2 Out Of Its Base OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
    I wonder, does sagemath work for you with python 3? I tried searching both "mandriva sagemath" and "fedora sagemath", but didn't get any links describing its dependencies. AFAIK sagemath were in process of transitioning to python3, but didn't quite finish it, that's why I'm wondering if it works purely with python3 on Mandriva and Fedora.
    Starting to get there, but not fully done yet:

It's one of the reasons why we still keep the python 2 packages around.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I've read some git issues about this on some projects and one common reason is "I know Python 2, not 3, so I don't want to port it". In those cases we'll have to use legacy environments or hope someone who knows what they're doing picks up the torch.

With how big some projects have become, I think some are considering switching to something else like Rust or Go. Makes sense. If you're forced to port due to a language EOL, might as well pick something a little more low level with long term support so this scenario doesn't happen again anytime soon.
      Personally, I interpret that as "I'm too lazy". Python 3 isn't hard. It's a little more picky about encoding, it's more consistent with its use of parenthesis, and from what I recall it's a little better about how it handles division. I've once ported a Qt-based program involving thousands of lines of code from Python 2 to 3 and I did it all in about a day. The vast majority of that time was compensating for the differences in Qt, not so much Python itself.

Comment

Working...
      X