No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 19.04 Released As A Big Linux Desktop Improvement Thanks To GNOME 3.32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fractional display scaling in 3.32 is great, I've been using it on a laptop to run at 150% scaling. However, Firefox and other applications that don't support it end up being a little blurring on the display, which is a real shame.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Phoronix, ban and delete all user profiles that are against IBM software.

We'd accept this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        That theme and setup definitely looks nicer than the vanilla Gnome. Also the performance improvements only came after Ubuntu got on board. Looks like Ubuntu's team pays enough attention to polishing.
        Well no. While the Canonical team definitely contributes, AFAIK the most important improvements this cycle came from employees of Redhat and Endless. But things add up and there are already lots of nice improvements in the pipeline

I personally hope that in 2-3 cycles we can stop worrying about the performance on usual hardware. Things are getting so smooth that there won't be much room for improvements any more.
        Last edited by treba; 19 April 2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
          Things are getting so smooth that there won't be much room for improvements any more.
          Let's just be real and not exaggerate. Yes, there is noticeable performance improvements in Gnome 3.32, but it's still far from being on par with KDE Plasma. I tested it yesterday on the very powerful Oryx Pro and yes it's smooth, but once you switch back to KDE Plasma you immediately feel the difference. I imagine the difference will be even more noticeable on regular hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Let's just be real and not exaggerate. Yes, there is noticeable performance improvements in Gnome 3.32, but it's still far from being on par with KDE Plasma. I tested it yesterday on the very powerful Oryx Pro and yes it's smooth, but once you switch back to KDE Plasma you immediately feel the difference. I imagine the difference will be even more noticeable on regular hardware.
            I agree that Gnome 3.32 is not quite there yet. What I wanted to say is, in regards to what is already in the pipeline and the general pace of optimizations landing lately, I wouldn't be surprised if in one and a half years from now the difference became so small that people just find it negligible.
            AFAIK there are a few known issues which even on powerful machines make things feel sluggish and a few more which people only notice under load or on slow machines.

Comment

still no nvidia wayland, so useless

Comment

Working...
              X