Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tessio View Post

Read again...
    If you read the debian timeline: "Starting 2019-01-12, new transitions and large/disruptive changes are no longer acceptable for buster." Updating gnome is large, so it's probably already forbidden. Then "Starting 2019-02-12, only small, targeted fixes are appropriate for buster". After full freeze, they will allow only
    • targeted fixes for release critical bugs (i.e., bugs of severity critical, grave, and serious) in all packages;
    • fixes for severity: important bugs in packages of priority: optional or extra, only when this can be done via unstable;
    • translation updates and documentation fixes that are included with fixes for the above criteria;
    So yes, 3.32 in buster IS impossibile.

Comment

Originally posted by p91paul View Post

If you read the debian timeline: "Starting 2019-01-12, new transitions and large/disruptive changes are no longer acceptable for buster." Updating gnome is large, so it's probably already forbidden. Then "Starting 2019-02-12, only small, targeted fixes are appropriate for buster". After full freeze, they will allow only
      • targeted fixes for release critical bugs (i.e., bugs of severity critical, grave, and serious) in all packages;
      • fixes for severity: important bugs in packages of priority: optional or extra, only when this can be done via unstable;
      • translation updates and documentation fixes that are included with fixes for the above criteria;
      So yes, 3.32 in buster IS impossibile.
      In theory, you might be able to upgrade to 3.32 via Flatpak. Not sure if I'd advise that.

Comment

Freesync is already in 5.0, but no idea what's the state of compositors supporting it.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Yeah, good thing I figured out how to build the kernel using older config as a starting point. It's relatively easy in Debian. 4.19 is very buggy for amdgpu users, so it's not even an option.
          Well i heard that and test that claim, so i forced using amdgpu on CIK on Kabini APU (that uses radeon driver by default) where i installed Debian Buster, besides normal 64bit i even did pure separate 32bit OS install too to try ... and didn't encounter any bugs with 4.19 really

With amdgpu.dc enabled also (they disable it by default for some reason), where i spot people complain for cik and nothing - no bugs Tested it with even a bit off options like using UVD intensevely and playing some games with NINE and nothing i spot no fundamental bugs here.

OK, i didn't touched RadV so Vulkan side of things at all there... maybe there are bugs with using that, i dunno

All that on a plain X, plain startx, Openbox WM and no compositor... pure nothing fancy on Desktop, so i dunno which random compositor layer could be more broken or maybe they are all broken in some way
          Last edited by dungeon; 14 January 2019, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            OK, i didn't touched RadV so Vulkan side of things at all there... maybe there are bugs with using that, i dunno
            Serious bugs are affecting Vega users in older kernels. System is simply unusable after boot for instance.

Comment

Experimental vulcan support is fine on 4.19. On 4.20 it is broken.

Comment

debianxfce or anyone else in here that knows:

If I install Debian testing, is it possible & easy to cleanly upgrade the operating system to Debian 10 (buster) stable, when Debian 10 (buster) is released?

My main concerns are:
                • If I just install testing, presumably it will stay as "testing" even after buster is released and thus will get all new testing packages after buster's release.
                • I want lsb_release -a report that it is buster
                • I want to make sure it gets the security updates intended for buster stable after buster is released.

Comment

Yes you can. In your /etc/apt/sources.list you can write testing or you can write buster; right now it's the same thing, testing is an alias for buster, but after release testing will move on and buster will become stable. I'm not sure which is the default, if it's testing just change it to buster.

Comment

Working...
                  X