No announcement yet.

Ubuntu's Dock CPU Usage To Be Lowered By A Third, Other Perf Fixes Inbound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the Windows menu, I take the Linux/BSD paradigm of putting all the thinsg in categories, instead of putting everything in the same place alphabetically. It takes forever to scroll down to find things after "M". And you are let alone to guess what all those names do. In Linux, everything is categorized and easy to find, no scroll here.

Also, Windows lacks things like select/middle click paste, or change volume with only the mouse wheel, things that at this day and age is retard not to have on a modern DE. Or how hard is to find your dam ip address, hided behind dozens of clicks (something Gnome is also behind other Linux DEs).

And lets not talk about how default applications on Linux completely owns what Windows have after a fresh install.

TL;DR
    To say Windows has a good interface is admit you never used a modern Linux distro for more than 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      It looks like GNOME 3.32 is going to be a good release with the theme and performance fixes. My gnome-shell usage right now sits at around ~210MB, compared to 1GB+ a year ago.

It's a shame this performance work wasn't started before Canonical decided to adopt GNOME.
      Actually this performance work was likely started BECAUSE Canonical decided to adopt GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
        I wonder why gnome needs speed optimizations and wayland needs stability optimizations. Because back when canonical announced MIR everyone said wayland was production ready and gnome is the desktop of the biggest linux tech company making huge mountains of money.

And now everyone is happy that ubuntu fixes gnome-shell and wayland. m(

I really want unity back. it was not crashing 5 times a day, running with 25% cpu power in idle and needed 10 extensions to be usable and not waste 1/3 of the screen.
        That was just the talk of naive fanboys and aspiring Canonical bashers. When Ubuntu made the switch they started whining that Canonical just uses upstream stuff and (supposedly) never contributes anything back. So now that they are fixing GNOME and Wayland, it's suddenly wrong because they "should" have used MIR...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Regarding the Windows menu, I take the Linux/BSD paradigm of putting all the thinsg in categories, instead of putting everything in the same place alphabetically. It takes forever to scroll down to find things after "M". And you are let alone to guess what all those names do. In Linux, everything is categorized and easy to find, no scroll here.
          That's not a UI decision, more like a "ecosystem control" decision. In a Linux distro all software is tagged to go in categories by distro maintainers (if it isn't already from upstream, actually having a standard for that did help).

On Windows this is plain out not possible.

Also, Windows lacks things like select/middle click paste, or change volume with only the mouse wheel,
          This is pretty niche afaik.

And lets not talk about how default applications on Linux completely owns what Windows have after a fresh install.
          That's somewhat irrelevant, most people install their own applications anyway as that's what they know how to use.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            When Ubuntu made the switch they started whining that Canonical just uses upstream stuff and (supposedly) never contributes anything back.
            1. This complaint was a thing well before the switch.
            2. It's actually correct.

So now that they are fixing GNOME and Wayland, it's suddenly wrong because they "should" have used MIR...
            I'm ready to bet that he was referring to Unity 7, aka no MIR involvement, it was actually usable. Unity 8 eh, not anywhere near as stable.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Fixed.
              😳 still playing that game?

Comment

Lads, Unity is "still" supported because it is integral to 16.04 'LTS' and it won't be going end of life until 2021! You've got YEARS of supported usage!

I'm using it right now. Unity just works! Best balanced usability design for Linux so far.

Currently I've got no choice but to use a Macbook Pro from work, so I've got Ubuntu 18.04 running on VBox and Gnome would grind to a halt after a few minutes and system monitor would show gnome shell using up all the CPU! So I installed Unity and voila! Just works! Rock stable!

Comment

Finally!

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post

Unfortunately the behavior of Ubuntu/Canonical didn't change of a bit, the Ubuntu dock is a fork of dash to dock so nothing will finish in upstream directly.
                    What the hell is wrong with you people? If you actually clicked the link in Michael's article, you'd see the commit in dash-to-dock...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      1. It's actually correct.
                      1. It's a myth. Over the years Canonical has contributed to AppArmor, to the kernel, to Mesa, today to GNOME and other things. Not to mention the projects where Canonical *is* the upstream, like LXD or Mir (which is actually being used, unlike the trainwreck that was Unity 8).
                      2. Furthermore, it's kind of irrelevant. The idiocy of bashing Canonical for allegedly not merging its stuff back upstream is not that it's true (which it isn't), it's that merging stuff upstream has never been compulsory. Being able to fork and redistribute your own version, distinct from upstream, is one of the foundational principles of Free Software. It's what various projects have done for years with some FSF software (remember EGCS vs GCC, XEmacs vs GNU Emacs, etc.), it's what MariaDB does with MySQL, it's what virtually every major distro today does with the Linux kernel, and there is nothing inherently wrong with it. Incidentally, forking and redistributing is the way to avoid CLAs that many companies, Canonical included, require on their code distribution.

Disclaimer: I owe nothing to Canonical, but the anti-Canonical zealotry and hate are just beyond ridiculous. Canonical has various issues (which company doesn't), but Ubuntu is still a very fine distro. Nevertheless those who would love to see it die can get their wish any time. All it would take would be to create a distro that's better at precisely those things that people like about Ubuntu.
                      Last edited by jacob; 18 December 2018, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X