Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.10 Officially Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.10 Officially Released

It should come as no surprise, but the official release of Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" is now available with the announcement just hitting the wire...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I remember the times the whole linux community was excited when Ubuntu releases happened. Now there are other better distros.

I guess LTS version releases still make some noise since they are still useful.

Comment

Gnome Shell 3.30 performance quite noticeably improved, which especially noticeable on weak BayTrail/CherryTrail tablets.

If anyone interested about optimizations for 1-2 GB RAM devices, here is few advices in comments.
      Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 19 October 2018, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        I remember the times the whole linux community was excited when Ubuntu releases happened. Now there are other better distros.

I guess LTS version releases still make some noise since they are still useful.
        What's more important than new shniy features are sustainable new features which are not thrown away after 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Gnome Shell 3.30 performance quite noticeably improved, which especially noticeable on weak BayTrail/CherryTrail tablets.

If anyone interested about optimizations for 1-2 GB RAM devices, here is few advices in comments.
          I haven't tried it yet but all of the Youtube videos I saw, had massive frame drops and stuttering in the animations. Don't know if this is typical Gnome or they were just running it in a VM or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

What's more important than new shniy features are sustainable new features which are not thrown away after 2 years.
            Depends. If those shiny new features add something important, then why not? For example, if Dolphin didn't have support for SMB and they added said support, wouldn't you welcome that if you were to use SMB?

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
              I haven't tried it yet but all of the Youtube videos I saw, had massive frame drops and stuttering in the animations. Don't know if this is typical Gnome or they were just running it in a VM or something like that.
              Or maybe it's because of the screen recording? One person whom I follow on YouTube (and he doesn't make Linux-related videos, btw, but he does use screen recording software) has a beast of a computer. But during screen recording, his software/games sometimes stutter. He says he doesn't notice any stuttering when not recording. So maybe that's also the case for the videos you've watched?

Comment

About the new icon theme...

They look all the same. Squares with rounded corners. Makes it hard to distinguish one utility from the other. The fact that app name display is cut in half when inside Activities' all-apps screen makes it worse. Elementary icons would fit better, they use different shapes and lots of color.

Comment

Working...
                X