Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    6 month releases are dumb
    I wish they would just do the LTS releases and roll along with Debian sid between them. I also wish Debian sid would keep rolling along at normal pace when Debian is preparing for release. I understand if they freeze testing, but preparing for release really shouldn't affect sid/experimental.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnpaul View Post
      Instead I got a login loop bug because of my xorg.conf (generated conf not hand written.)
      Why on earth did you have an xorg.conf in the first place? That's not been a good idea for years, especially if you used Xorg -configure to generate it.
      Last edited by Slithery; 14 October 2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

He posts like this on any announcement ever. His fixation on the latestestest version reminds me of webdevelopers.
        I am a web developer.
        But not only a web developer, also a developer.
        So then I read the release announcements for every new version of things that come out, and I get excited by it and think oh that will be nice!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I am a web developer.
          But not only a web developer, also a developer.
          So then I read the release announcements for every new version of things that come out, and I get excited by it and think oh that will be nice!
          Yeah, well, many things would be nice. Yet merely talking about them, rarely leads to anything constructive
          Get a rolling distro or Fedora or something and start enjoying your life instead

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yeah, well, many things would be nice. Yet merely talking about them, rarely leads to anything constructive
            Get a rolling distro or Fedora or something and start enjoying your life instead
            Would much prefer to suffer with a month or two older version than put up with either of those headaches.

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Too bad Python is at 3.6, not 3.7.
            sudo apt install python3.7

Comment

Slithery don't ask me, I didn't generate or write it and I have tens of backups in the directory too. My guess is its some kind of nvidia thing, I've also tried out the various ppas to try to fix various issues over the last couple of years.

P.S. This forum is not intuitive to use on mobile and the cursor jumps about leaving you with this kind of sentence really software

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                6 mpnth releases are dumb
                14 years ago Fedora started that, 13 years ago Ubuntu appeared because of that, 13 years ago SUSE Linux, 12 years ago now openSUSE follow suit...

It is matter of popularisation and call for testing, but in the same time inability to produce stable rolling Desktop for an average Joe or as vice versa as - rolling can't be stable
                Last edited by dungeon; 15 October 2018, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                  sudo apt install python3.7
                  It is great that it is at least available for install, but then the Python code I write doesn't work for anyone but me when I distribute it.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                    Would much prefer to suffer with a month or two older version than put up with either of those headaches.
                    I would prefer that, too, but that's not always an option with Ubuntu. Even in the upcoming Cosmic, Go, for example is still at 1.10, even though 1.12 (2.0?) is almost out the door. Rust is also one version behind, but at least in this case rustup will fix that.
                    This is a big deal for these younger languages that get tons of additions with every release.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      You just can't wrap your head around the idea Ubuntu is not about including the latest and greatest, can you?
                      You just can't wrap your head around the idea that Ubuntu is not about including the latest and greatest but still striving to be later and greater, can you?
                      Last edited by johanb; 15 October 2018, 06:15 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Working...
                      X