Ubuntu 18.10 Beta Now Available For Testing The Cosmic Cuttlefish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
    Oh my god, what happened in this cycle, Gnome Shell / Mutter is much slower than in the previous version where it was already slow. I love the work carried out by the Gnome Team & Canonical (and other DEs too but I cannot believe a single window animation can still lag in 2018. (I tried 3 different GPUs and 2 machines that are lightning fast under KDE for instance).

Does it mean the numerous optimizations carried out in this cycle saved memory but cost in cpu cycle and/or smoothness ? (I must say preserving memory is important too)
    That's what happens when they prioritize "developer time/effort" to resulting code quality/optimizations. Who gives a shit of the millions of users suffering, right?

And thus most "modern" software is in a perpetual state of sucking. We need more of Linus.

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
      Oh my god, what happened in this cycle, Gnome Shell / Mutter is much slower than in the previous version where it was already slow. I love the work carried out by the Gnome Team & Canonical (and other DEs too but I cannot believe a single window animation can still lag in 2018. (I tried 3 different GPUs and 2 machines that are lightning fast under KDE for instance).

Does it mean the numerous optimizations carried out in this cycle saved memory but cost in cpu cycle and/or smoothness ? (I must say preserving memory is important too)
      I don't find it to be slower. (It's still slow and cpu hungry) I'm using an Intel 3570K and the integrated HD4400 graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Atom ⚛ doesn't work, However Atom beta does work.
        VS Code doesn't work.
        Why? I use both in Kubuntu 18.04 and they work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

Why? I use both in Kubuntu 18.04 and they work fine.
          Yeah, they work fine on 18.04, but I am running 18.10.

Code:
          $ code
          /usr/bin/code: line 35: 20973 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ELECTRON_RUN_AS_NODE=1 "$ELECTRON" "$CLI" "$@"

$ atom
          /usr/bin/atom: line 157: 20992 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) nohup "$ATOM_PATH" --executed-from="$(pwd)" --pid=$$ "$@" > "$ATOM_HOME/nohup.out" 2>&1

Comment

Working...
          X