Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Debian Edition 3 Beta Released

Phoronix: Linux Mint Debian Edition 3 Beta Released

Making good on their word to release the LMDE 3 beta by the end of July, officially out today is the beta of Linux Mint Debian Edition 3 "Cindy"...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm out of the Linux Mint development process. I get that LMDE is backup but does Ubuntu really that beneficial that two spins are needed?

Comment

Originally posted by trethlyn View Post
      I'm out of the Linux Mint development process. I get that LMDE is backup but does Ubuntu really that beneficial that two spins are needed?
      Que?!!

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post

Que?!!
        I guess what I'm asking is why not just have LMDE instead of Ubuntu and LMDE

Comment

Originally posted by trethlyn View Post

I guess what I'm asking is why not just have LMDE instead of Ubuntu and LMDE
          The question came up on a comment thread on their blog and this was the Devs response: Link

Debian is far from perfect and Ubuntu adds a lot more fixes on top of it than regressions. You can’t point the finger at Ubuntu without knowing whether these regressions were caused by them or not or at least whether they’re specific to them or not. Ubuntu devs are also very reactive and usually maintain their stack very well.

Examples such as the notorious conflict between hunspell and thunderbird, or more recently the fact that we can’t even get Debian to patch two typos in NM (https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/pull/7486) show that we can’t take it as seriously as Ubuntu. There is a sense of urgency, a consistency and a hierarchy in Ubuntu.

Debian is an amazing project and without it there would be no Ubuntu nor Linux Mint, but it’s not some pristine, flawless desktop distribution ruined by buggy Ubuntu patches. It’s quite unfair and ridiculous to depict things like that.

Comment

Thanks Stargazer.

Comment

Working...
            X