No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 18.10's New Theme Is Now Yaru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I HATE flat icons ( Skeuomorphic or Isometric (SGI Irix) for me ) I have to say these are really good and a LOT better than Gnome's proposed new icons.

Comment

I'm not using Communitheme but I use a setup that achieves very similar. It's a combination of Numix, United GNOME theme, and Suru icons. Looks like this.

Comment

Is 18.10 back to Wayland as default like 17.10 was?

Comment

Ambiance on Gnome Shell is really horrible, the new theme much nicer, the problem is that I do not like Gnome Shell. However I believe the themes should have more subdued colors, otherwise they get tired, I prefer Gnome's adwaita, or Plasma Breeze.

Comment

Why does every modern UI need to have a flat look? Heck, even Windows 3.11 has more perceived depth to it than the current trends.

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
              Why does every modern UI need to have a flat look? Heck, even Windows 3.11 has more perceived depth to it than the current trends.
              There is no benefit on having more or less "perceived depth", so this is just a trick to look different. In a decade we will see depth in UI come again.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                There is no benefit on having more or less "perceived depth", so this is just a trick to look different. In a decade we will see depth in UI come again.
                Well, technically there's no benefit to food tasting good as long as the nutritional demands of your body is satisfied.

Comment

Well, technically there's no benefit to food tasting good as long as the nutritional demands of your body is satisfied.
                  Which is why foods and recipes keep changing over time (generations). There isn't an objectively "better recipe" or a "better food", so the only thing that drives cuisine change is fashion.

For example, take avocado toasts, or pineapple on pizza.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Which is why foods and recipes keep changing over time (generations). There isn't an objectively "better recipe" or a "better food", so the only thing that drives cuisine change is fashion.

For example, take avocado toasts, or pineapple on pizza.
                    Exactly. So then why is every design trying to appeal to the same customer? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a diverging design which appeals to the rest of the market, and works equally well for those who simply don't care (let's say the butter toast and plain pizza crowd)?

Surely it must be easier to conquer an unsatisfied demand than appeal to a saturated taste?

Comment

Exactly. So then why is every design trying to appeal to the same customer? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a diverging design which appeals to the rest of the market, and works equally well for those who simply don't care (let's say the butter toast and plain pizza crowd)?
                      Because it's not a rational thing. This all works because of vulnerabilities in human psychology that I'm not really qualified to explain in depth, that apparently allow a cyclic phenomenon to happen.

Fashion works like this: in each specific period of time there are some key trends set by some "trend setters", and most people follow that, while keeping an eye for the next "trend setter" appearance to shift to that. How a "trend setter" is chosen at the beginning when he is just acting differently from other people around him is open to debate, but once his trend has reached a critical mass it just snowballs to everything.

This is valid for both the consumer themselves and the goods manufacturers (or software developers or whatever figure is producing a good or service to sell).

To some extent also the morals and philosophy of a specific time period undergo the same general process.

Surely it must be easier to conquer an unsatisfied demand than appeal to a saturated taste?
                      It's more complex than that, as when a trend is active people want to see that all over the place. Setting a new trend is hard and not an exact science at all, and unless you have a VERY good plan it's much better to just stick to the current trend.

So for example people in Ubuntu wanted to see their OS be more "modern", and people from outside looking at it would not think it is "modern" unless they adopt whatever is deemed "modern" style of interface.

Or at least this is what happens with the sheeple crowd.

Comment

Working...
                      X