Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting Features For Ubuntu 9.04

Phoronix: Exciting Features For Ubuntu 9.04

If all goes according to plan, the first alpha release for Ubuntu 9.04 (the Jaunty Jackalope) will be released tomorrow. It's not even been one month since the release of Ubuntu 8.10, but this first alpha release will show early signs of what we can expect to see in this next Canonical-sponsored release -- albeit many of the features are still in planning. In this article we will provide a glimpse at what Ubuntu 9.04 should hold in store to captivate Linux desktop users.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I certainly hope they do manage to speed up the boot process. I've got a fairly decent computer, which takes 1min+ to start up. I take it that's pretty slow for linux. 'tis 'bout time to start speeding it up.

I really hope they don't just concentrate on boot-up though, and concentrate on the general performance too.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanikseo View Post
      I really hope they don't just concentrate on boot-up though, and concentrate on the general performance too.
      Everything is fine with Ubuntu performance. Just search for "smarter" benchmarks.

Comment

Under 30s bootup here, so I'm happy with that (btw also check out UsplashSmooth, a rather nice idea).

I hope Empathy improves by 8.04 and makes it in. It's view seems to be the way forward (I'm happy with the way the GStreamer framework works, and this seems to be similar).

Comment

Since the next OSX is going to focus on stability and performance, it would be nice if Ubuntu Jaunty shipped without any performance cramping bugs.. Benchmarks of all the alphas could maybe help with that..

Boot up time would be a great area to see improvement.. If we can get it down to 10 seconds, we wouldn't have to worry as much about suspend and whatnot..

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
            Since the next OSX is going to focus on stability and performance, it would be nice if Ubuntu Jaunty shipped without any performance cramping bugs.. Benchmarks of all the alphas could maybe help with that
            You're amazing me people. Someone posted crappy benchmark and you expect that Cannonical will "optimize" its system just to gain some points in lame tests (uh, I'm not talking about that nice audio converter...)? There are far more objective benchmarks, but real life performance matters which is great in Linux.

Comment

Install to OS to RAM, automatic backup to hard drive.

I wish manufacturers would move the PCIe slots off the mobo. It's a serial bus, so it can be cabled-imagine being able to customize the type, number, position and bandwidth of all your PCIe slots. Then give us double the memory slots so we've got some room to move. How 'bout a virtual box with several operating systems using a RAM drive. Wonder how fast the switching would be there?

Is Canonical thinking about using flash memory to boost the boot? I know that's already being done, but I'm not sure if it's part of the standard install.

Thanks Micheal.

Comment

show early signs of what we can expect to see in this next Canonical-sponsored release -- albeit many of the features are still in planning. In this article we will provide a glimpse at what Ubuntu 9.04 should hold in store to captivate Linux desktop users.

Comment

Working...
                X