Ubuntu 18.10 Is Codenamed The "Cosmic Cuttlefish", Will Focus On Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    On Windows 10 you have UWP apps which run sandboxes and isolated.
    On Linux, any application can access anything and do anything.
    Example, a calculator can access your files, a text editor can access your webcam, etc.
    UWP apps are mostly simple dumb stuff from the store, bulk of Windows application ecosystem does NOT do that.

Flatpack has much better future here as it allows to package normal applications, not just stuff written from scratch like UWP apps.

Comment

Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish... What's so Cosmic about Cuttlefish?

Comment

Example, a calculator can access your files, a text editor can access your webcam, etc.
        Ever heard about AppArmor?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.10 Is Codenamed The "Cosmic Cuttlefish", Will Focus On Security
          So 18.04 LTS is insecure. OK.

Comment

Ever heard of snap? It does exactly that, with one difference: where UWP is limited to trivial crap that is effectively mobile apps running on a.desktop, snap allows you to use real world stuff can nfined, including libreoffice, gimp, spotify and even system-level software like lxd or owncloud.
            Last edited by jacob; 08 May 2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

security?
              I'll probably need to post on Ubuntu forums as well because I really wonder how's possible that this OS doesn't install microcodes by default (as someone pointed out in a last Canonical-related article comment). You can choose MP3 and flash support at installation but no microcodes? We're not talking here about a FSF certified Gnu/Linux OS.. but Ubuntu!?!
              If true (I hope to be wrong), doesn't it make the system a bit ensecure?
              My 18.04 system doesn't show any need for additional proprietary drivers at the moment, I guess that the latest BIOS I installed on my old Latutude, which dates March 2018 (kudos to Dell, still realising security updates for a 2011 machine!!!) may contain those microcodes.. so I wonder the OS must know about it.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Hm, I'll allow that.

I always thought they were more insect-like things due to their legs and body shape and armor plates. For example they do have a striking resemblance for a diving beetle larvae.

https://cymarin.wordpress.com/2014/1...beetle-larvae/
                Huh. Good comparison.

That said, Mass Fffect fanon (the extension to canon shared by a large portion of a fanfiction community if not all) is that they're cephalopoid. Fanfiction is one my guilty pleasures, I read a lot of it, and I've never seen a fanfic that likened them to anything other than cuttlefish or squid.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                  Ever heard about AppArmor?
                  Yes, and very, very, few packages come configured with AppArmor.
                  It may very well be a great technology, and software configured using AppArmor may very well be very secure, but in practice it doesn't offer much protection for most of the people since so few software come configured with AppArmor.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  The virus hoover has thousands of viruses and each day will come more. In Linux there is about 40 viruses and all them have fixes. Many Linux distributions do have security fixes each day while the virus hoover updates very seldom and when it does, you wait for ever and can have a blue or a black screen.
                  Of course Windows have more viruses than other systems since it targeted more because of its larger user base.
                  It is silly to discredit it using derogatory terms such as "virus hoover".
                  It is also hard for legitimate software to target Linux because the platform is so fragmented. Things that work on one Linux distribution don't work on the other, and not often even on different version of the same distribution.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  Ever heard of snap? It does exactly that, with one difference: where UWP is limited to trivial crap that is effectively mobile apps running on a.desktop, snap allows you to use real world stuff can nfined, including libreoffice, gimp, spotify and even system-level software like lxd or owncloud.
                  Yes, I've heard of Snap. But Snap packages are very large, several hundred megabytes even for smaller applications.
                  I don't know how much security Snap offers in the real world since its not uncommon for Snap software use the "unconfined" configuration.

Comment

> Of course Windows have more viruses than other systems since it targeted more because of its larger user base.

[...] desktops and laptops are a tiny subset of all the devices that can keep a running operating system inside. Not counting domestic appliances, routers, switches, servers, remote controls, clusters, GPS, supercomputers, and finally, the largest group of all, mobile phones, is ignoring more than ninety percent of the market.

-- Paul C. Brown. Editor of Linux Magazine Spain. September 2009.

Comment

no way mesa 18.3 will make it, since it'll be released a ~month after 18.10 is out

Comment

Working...
                      X