Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Cosmic Cock sounds great, alright.
    After Bionic Beaver, I expected Clockwork Cock. Gosh only knows what kind of treatment he's going to give the D.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

This is why voting's not open to the public (and probably part of the reason Fedora got rid of codenames)..
      You mean you dont want another Ubuntu: Harry Hardon or Ubuntu: Busty Beaver

I was kindof hoping for Ubuntu: Cool Cock

The logo could be a cock wearing glasses.

Mountain Dew for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        This is why voting's not open to the public (and probably part of the reason Fedora got rid of codenames)..
        I still think that letting people name things is better, we need more comically frivolous stuff and less 100%-corporate-certified cocain-induced bullshit names like "Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel".

If you let people decide you get fun stuff like Boaty McBoatface (and variations) after some internet meme for example.
        Or situations where a semi-unknown and boring historical figure that has a passing resemblance to Spock gets modified a bit on banknotes so it looks like Spock

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
          After Bionic Beaver, I expected Clockwork Cock. Gosh only knows what kind of treatment he's going to give the D.
          I see what you did there. Descartes would be proud, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Who needs this shit when "18.10" actually has a meaning and is short?
            In case you didn't notice, it's a trick to get some PR coverage.
            People will find it funny or weird or whatever and tell their friends.

Marketing is a thing.

Comment

Cosmic M$. Seems M.Шаттлворт recieved good drill there back then 6 months drill in Russia to be able to go to Cosmos couple days, since then he seems obsessed with these 6 months

Last edited by dungeon; 02 May 2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                Who needs this shit when "18.10" actually has a meaning and is short?
                This question still keeps coming up twice a year. The explanation is very simple. The package system uses URLs to find packages and updates. These URLs are static, meaning they won't ever change. That's useful for a large number of reasons.

18.10 is the year and month a release is shipped. October 2018 hasn't happened yet, so the next version is not called 18.10. Because the release might not happen in October, even if that's the plan. The Dapper Drake, which was supposed to become the 6.04LTS, was delayed for two months and therefore ended up as 6.06LTS. But the archives still use "dapper".

Since we need a permanent reference that does not change even if the release gets delayed, one alternative to using alphabetically ordered codenames, is to refer to the version number. In the case of Ubuntu 18.10, that would be #29. But there's no real benefit of that and people would then ask the following question twice every year; "Why does Ubuntu have two different version numbers?" And the answer would be "Because people kept asking why we used alphabetic codenames".

Of course, another solution, is to get rid of the time-based versioning and just go with Ubuntu 29. But then you're creating a new problem. Because major releases is every fourth, anticipated around April in even years and supported for five years. That makes it easy to remember that 12.04 is outdated since April last year, that 14.04LTS is the current oldest major release and that it will be supported until April next year – which is then the deadline for upgrading to the next major version, which it is easy to remember, is 16.04.Going back in time, it is also easy to remember that 8.04 was an LTS, for instance. On the other hand, the codename, Hardy Heron, makes it easier to remember the details of that development cycle, which in that specific case was the PulseAudio system.

Personally, I think time-based versions are great.

Comment

Well, then it could be named based on intended/scheduled release date so it will be fixed as 18.10 even if it is delayed. Or else you could have version 18.1 and 18.2 meaning the first and second release of 2018.
                  The names are here because they like it, there is really no other reason.

Comment

Originally posted by mbello View Post
                    Well, then it could be named based on intended/scheduled release date so it will be fixed as 18.10 even if it is delayed. Or else you could have version 18.1 and 18.2 meaning the first and second release of 2018.
                    The names are here because they like it, there is really no other reason.
                    Sure, all decisions in software development are based on someones preference, but there's usually a reason for the preference. But yes, there's most likely billions of different ways we could do it. What's the point? We have scheme that works, is very easy to understand, easy to remember and a little bit of fun. I don't really understand the problem with that.

Comment

I don't see a problem either, but you kinda tried to justify the need for the strange names with many arguments that were not very solid. I tgink the only real reason for the names is because the people that gets to decide like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X