Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Final Beta Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleyska View Post

wayland works exceptionally well for me, I am surprised how well it works.
    It's not much missing from wayland, but it's mostly with vendors for instance teamviewer.
    My biggest issue with Wayland is that apparently the input thread isn't separate from whatever GNOME is doing (can't quite remember the specifics, but on Xorg, libinput is on a separate thread).

With high CPU usage, the cursor becomes noticeably laggy on my i7-7700HQ. Even on GNOME 3.28.

Comment

Originally posted by drohm View Post

I wouldn't call it a 'disagreement'. Having options can be a good thing.
      In the case of Linux desktops this would be too much of a good thing. Most of these gtk desktops could just be made into one that has different layouts.

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
        That's one of the reasons they're not classified as "major".
        In that case you live under a rock, bro. I very much dislike Linux Mint, but they are major because they are one of the most popular Linux distributions and that's a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentalist View Post
          Ubuntu has come a long way. All major distributors now share the same kernel, init, compositor, desktop etc. Snap vs Flatpak is the only current disagreement.
          It's not a "disagreement" in the sense that it's not an either/or decision for the user. Most distros, Ubuntu included, support both simultaneously. For some reason people always seem to forget that it's not like dpkg vs rpm, there are no snap distros or flatpak distros.

Comment

Is there an objective technological comparison between FlatPak and Snap?
            For example, performance wise, which is better?
            What about security wise?
            Last edited by Royi; 07 April 2018, 05:06 AM.

Comment

I agree that the current Snap vs Flatpak disagreement isn’t the end of the world. Things will settle.

Just like they did on kernel, init and desktop. The better technology always wins.
              Yeah, and what also doesn't make it the end of the world is that Linux is not the only one. For example, on Windows you have EXE, MSI and the format used by Windows Store... also multiple choices, yet developers are not complaining about the choice there, so the choice b/w Flatpak and Snap on Linux shouldn't be a problem either.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
                Is there an objective technological comparison between FlatPak and Snap?
                For example, performance wise, which is better?
                security wise?
                At this time of writing, Snap is a bit ahead of Flatpak security-wise, but Flatpak has much better performance for most users (including me).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

At this time of writing, Snap is a bit ahead of Flatpak security-wise, but Flatpak has much better performance for most users (including me).
                  Is there an in depth comparison between them?
                  What make you say FlatPak is faster?

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
                    Any news about a possible Unity7 flavor? I'm really surprised it's not here as I know a lot of users won't want to change. I know unity7 is still downloadable with apt but this is not something you can ask a normal user to do.
                    The community is maintaining unity7.

Comment

Just like they did on init. The better technology always wins.
                      Then why are are we using systemd and not openrc?

Comment

Working...
                      X